Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig Saws

Jig Saws

Ok so i want to purchase a new jig saw. Bosch is on my favorite brand list the thing is which model and what config. Barrel or handle?
    Had i been a member here years and years ago i would have only had to buy once. But thats spilt milk so after using my skil unit and nearly having every bone in my hand vibrate to bits i am gonna get a decent one.

Whats your recommendations help and advise required please.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

i have the festool barrel type, but the bosch barrel was my second choice
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

You're in for a very pleasant surprise. Barrel or top handle will be a totally personal preference. I'm a barrel guy but do wish that the variable speed trigger switch was used like on the top handled 1590. The barrel is easier for me to control but again, this is up to the user. The step down from the 1590 used to be the 18-something or other. I do not even find that guy anymore and no surprise; the blade change mechnism was way too fussy. The 1591 is just a one touch blade change. I assume the newer JS470E and JS470EB (barrel) would have the same(?). They seem to be the 1590 and 1591 usurpers. I cannot comment on them directly. But, quick blade change, blade guides and variable speed should be top of your list. I have the dust collection which was an inexpensive add-on. The blower could be better. I would not go a model down to save $30 or $40 as a good high-end jigsaw is a joy forever in my limited experience. I went from the B&D jumpin-jack to the 1591VS . . . no comparison. I wasn't even sure they were the same type of tool
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-22-2012 at 02:19 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks Larry and Glenn, you hit the right description for my current piece of junk. Jumping vibrating jack

The problem i am finding is Bosch have so many models.

Definitely not going to get a cheap one. Will do some more research.

cheers

I definately prefer a barrell grip jigsaw. I have had three such jig saws, two of them Festool and one Bosch. Of the three, my favourite is the Festool Triton PS 300 EQ. It is joy to use -so much better than the jigsaws I struggled with in the olden days.
    Cheers, Frank

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I've got an older model Bosch, #1587AVS top handle, that has been used and abused and keeps smiling every time I plug her in...
    It's too good, as it shows my unsteady hand in every cut

Love my Bosch. I like the top handle with the VS trigger.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Oh boy did some research on Bosch and they have so many models. Gonna have to get to a store and get one of these in my hands. Off the cuff i read one of the manuals for the 159x series and like the idea of the variable speed handle type. The barrel type is kinda on off at the set variable speed as was already pointed out in this thread. That seems like a neat worthwhile feature to have when starting a cut but dunno???
    The festool seems to me is nearly a third of the cost more for little difference to the good pro Bosch models.
    Then there appears to be a new version out any one have one of the new series. Not sure they are a step up from the 159x series apart from slightly more power. But 6.4 versus 7 amps well either are 50% more than i got now.

cheers

Regardless your final decision, get bosch blades. They make a cheap jigsaw perform like an expensive model. Regardless your purchase, it is only as good as the blade you put in it.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Bosch...nuff said! :-)
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault