Port Townsend School of Woodworking Reveiw

Bill Satko

Rob Campbell of the "The Joiner's Apprentice" blog recently went to the school to take a class with Jim Tolpin. He wrote up quite a review of the school and the class. Here is the link to his blog on the subject. Rob and I have held a couple of email conversations recently and I was hoping to take the same class and finally meet him, but I could not get away.

Garrett Hack is going to be teaching a two week class in July (July 16 to 27) where you build his Demilune table. I have already signed up for the class and it would be nice if some Family members were also there. Now is your chance to spend two weeks with a Master in one of the most beautiful places in world. <<Link>>

See the following link showing my daily walk to class this last fall, when I took another class with Garrett. <<Link>>

The only thing that would make it better is if my Tour DeWood 2010 buddies were there with me! Maybe some day.

as for the tour buddies ,, bill. we dont have the prerequisite courses like you do so we couldnt be part of this if we wanted to or had the funds to do so. kinda like putting first grader into a class of jr high students not good for either group to have to deal with the other and the teacher would be taxed more as well.. if i lived closer i would think hard on this earlier but your to far away bud..:) would be nice to get some training on the right way to do things like dave gave us in sketchup..

as for the tour buddies ,, bill. we dont have the prerequisite courses like you do so we couldnt be part of this if we wanted to or had the funds to do so. kinda like putting first grader into a class of jr high students not good for either group to have to deal with the other and the teacher would be taxed more as well.. if i lived closer i would think hard on this earlier but your to far away bud..:) would be nice to get some training on the right way to do things like dave gave us in sketchup..

Actually Larry, you have more than enough skill set for this class. I think everyone is under the impression that Garrett Hack builds everything using only hand powered tools. It seems to me that of his work is done mostly with power tools, maybe 90%. I noticed that he uses hand tools to mostly refine his work or where it just makes more sense. Almost all joints are made with power tools with some exceptions. You have to remember that he does this for a living and like any business, time is money. He more than has the skill set to do everything by hand, as he has an incredible ability in using planes and chisels, but it probably does not make economic sense. He teaches his classes the way he building his furniture to sell, with a blend of power and hand tools.