A great tool for handing hard-to-remove vinyl tiles -Festool Scraper

Frank Pellow

This week I am installing new tiles in the main bathroom in our house. I installed the old tiles about 25 years ago and used construction cement. Boy, do they stick! I guess that 25 years ago, I thought they would be on the floor forever.

Here is a photo of the tiles being removed very slowly: New tiles in bathroom 01 -The old tiles are going to be hard to remove -small.JPG

After about an hour and a half of this, I remembered the scraper attachment (491 199) that fits onto my Festool LS 130 Duplex linear sander (567 777). That tool did a great job:

New tiles in bathroom 02 -This gizmo attached to my Festool linear sander makes thje job much ea.JPG

and was about 5 times as fast as the method that I had been using.

Here is a close-up of the tool with the attachment: New tiles in bathroom 03 -Close-up of the Festool Duplex linear sander equiped with the scraper .JPG

Last edited:
I don't have that particular Festool, Frank, but I do know that a good power scraper makes a world of difference in removing tile like those. I re-did a kitchen floor a few years back, and -like you - discovered the Fein Multi-tool scraper after experiencing frustration at the 'manual' methods. The Fein, with scraper blade, made those tiles come up much easier. The Festool scraper looks wider than the Fein's, so it ought to make the job even faster.

now you need to use some sand paper to fix the gouges you show there frank, unless your going to use some floor leveler first..before the new floor goes down.

Larry, I thought about filling in the gouges with auto-body filler then sanding. I know that would work, but I decided to nail down a layer of thin plywood.

So, I guess that I could just have nailed the plywood over the old tiles -oh well :eek: