new tomahawk

Frank Fusco

After seeing one he made for himself on my muzzle loading forum, I asked if he would make one for me. And, he did. :woot: This is a spike hawk made from a ball peen hammer. It will go on display with my collection of about 20 other 'hawks, including one given to me by our own Johnson.spike hawk.jpg

Frank, that is a nice 'hawk. Now, if I understand this correctly, the guy that forged this used the peen end of the hammer for the blade and the ball end of the hammer for the tong part, thus leaving the handle hole sized the same?

Frank, that is a nice 'hawk. Now, if I understand this correctly, the guy that forged this used the peen end of the hammer for the blade and the ball end of the hammer for the tong part, thus leaving the handle hole sized the same?

Yes and no. Shaped as you described but reshaped the hole to take a tapered tomahawk handle. I had a couple of those on hand.

Frank, I assume the 'hawk pattern is a traditional design. Was it used as a general purpose tool, or purely as a weapon? Looks formidable, to say the least. Beautiful craftsmanship.

Frank, I assume the 'hawk pattern is a traditional design. Was it used as a general purpose tool, or purely as a weapon? Looks formidable, to say the least. Beautiful craftsmanship.

He built it from an 18th century boarding axe design. I reenact the Rev. Rifleman and his spike hawk would have had a straight spike. But, I don't care, I like the looks of this one. Wanna argue? :rolleyes: