Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drum sander

Drum sander

I ran into some cash and I want to but a drum sander. Any stand out as being pretty good? Limit is about 1250 or so.

Thanks

What kind of projects do you do or plan to do?
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Drum Sander

Jet 10-20 Plus that works great for me, I use it for sanding the rings for my segmented bowls.
    "Have no fear of perfection--you'll never reach it."
    ---Salvador Dali

I saw that small jet and looked like it might fit the bill. I'm making small gift boxes. Have you had any issues with this unit thus far, like tracking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McQueen View Post
    I saw that small jet and looked like it might fit the bill. I'm making small gift boxes. Have you had any issues with this unit thus far, like tracking.

Thanks
    I've had my 10-20 for about eight years, and it's seen a lot of use. It's been a very good, reliable tool - once I got used to how it works. It's NOT a planer! 1/64" is a big bite for it. 1/128" is better for wider stock, and varying the feed rate is necessary both for a better surface and also to minimize stalling.

Doing stock wider than the drum won't be perfect. There'll be a slight bump at the overlap, but it's so slight that it can be cleaned up in a few seconds of scraping or hand sanding.

Dust collection (not a shop vac) is required, as these things really generate a lot of dust, and if it's not removed, it'll clog up both the sandpaper and the feed belt.

I use mine a lot when re-sawing. A couple passes thru the Performax (now Jet) makes veneers or other thin stock "ready-to-use."

You asked about tracking - it's never been a problem. The feed belt (actually a 10" wide sanding belt) needs tracking adjustments when it's installed, and again after a few hours use, but other than that very little maintenance is needed.

When you start out, buy your sanding strips pre-cut - I'd recommend a 'variety pack.' Then, after you've figured out which grit you'll be mostly using (for me, it's 120), buy a bulk roll and use one of the pre-cuts as a template to cut your own. Much cheaper that way.

The 10/20 is a great little sander. I really like mine. If you're doing a lot of cabinet doors, etc, I'd recommend stepping up to the 16-32, or even the 22-44, but both of those are a lot more money.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

My only issues have been user issues like getting to aggressive with it and blowning it's built-in breaker.
    "Have no fear of perfection--you'll never reach it."
    ---Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Krager View Post
    My only issues have been user issues like getting to aggressive with it and blowning it's built-in breaker.
    Yep! Like i said: It's NOT a planer! 1/64" is a big bite for it. 1/128" is better for wider stock, and varying the feed rate is necessary both for a better surface and also to minimize stalling.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Check out the used market sometimes your can get a good deal, I found a 22/44 sometime back for $600 but didn't have the cash, it went fast.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Check out the used market sometimes your can get a good deal, I found a 22/44 sometime back for $600 but didn't have the cash, it went fast.
    Heh, this was added to my wish list when I was doing (err still am doing - weekend warrior and all that) ~140 small slats. I'm past where it would be useful for this project at this point, but I can foresee others... like clouds on the horizon. So timely.

$600 for a 22/44 boy I wish. A fellow down the road wants $1400 for a used 22/44 ("no low ballers" ok yeah good luck I suppose). If he could get below a grand I'd talk to him I've seen 16/32's for sub $800 semi regularly (although to far to drive.. so far..).

I've also been trolling for a woodmaster, if a used one came up at the right price (and they appear to occasionally) I'd take that instead (mostly for the sander, but hey a molding machine would be pretty sweet to have so I'd pay the premium).

I have a 38" Woodmaster which has performed very well for me. I have no complaints and It handles all of my projects from smallest to largest(with proper planning of course) What I like about it over the open sided models is that the open sided models have no support on the outer end and there is a certain amount of flex on the head which can make for an uneven surface. That said even with my 7.5 hp motor the key is very very light passes. Dont skip grits. A 38 inch is probably more than you will need for small projects and a new one may be beyond your 1250 budget. But a used one may very well meet your budget. And if you have the space.
    I got mine used about 5 years ago and Woodmasters service has been excellent in getting me what I needed to restore it and keeping me supplied with anything I need.
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest