Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's time for some new eyes!

It's time for some new eyes!

I have never need glasses, my eyesight has always been 20/20 or better. At my last eye exam the doc told me I'm at that age where I'll probably be needing some reading glasses before long. I've noticed over the past few months the marks on the tape are starting to move around on me, and when I read my arms need to be about two inches longer. I picked up a set of reading glasses at the drug store and they have really helped for the reading part. My question is what do y'all do for glasses in the shop?

John welcome to the club. The need to wear glasses has been my single toughest thing to ever accept.
    In the shop i wear my prescribed glasses
    even though i risk getting them scratched.
    Thing is those "reading" glasses at the drug store are not neccessary a match for your eyes so i dont risk straining one eye to the benefit of the other.

Best if luck.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Bifocals (progressive) from get up time to bed time ever since I was 16 in the shop since I can not find safety glasses to go over the prescription ones, a full face shield when needed in the shop. Some day I will spring for prescription safety glasses.

I have used the DeWalt's Reinforcer RX Bifocal safety glasses for several years now.

“When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I have the bifocal safety glasses too, but I find in the cool weather, they fog up a lot, so I wear my regular reading glasses, but if I'm doing something where I need more protection, I put on the safety glasses or face shield.

I really like these reading glasses.....

http://impulseclics.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89276_cle.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	65431
    I find they work great for me, as I carry heavy stuff all the time, any reading glasses on a string around your neck hang down too far and I would destroy them. When you are not using them, they are out of the way but when you need them they are right there, not in a pocket in a holder etc.

Cheers!

Oh yeah, you will look really cool in them........

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks for the suggestion guys. After seeing Tom in Stu's post I remember seeing Richard Trethewey wearing a pair of those in one episode and thinking that those are cool.
    Last edited by John Daugherty; 03-01-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    I have never need glasses, my eyesight has always been 20/20 or better. At my last eye exam the doc told me I'm at that age where I'll probably be needing some reading glasses before long. I've noticed over the past few months the marks on the tape are starting to move around on me, and when I read my arms need to be about two inches longer. I picked up a set of reading glasses at the drug store and they have really helped for the reading part. My question is what do y'all do for glasses in the shop?
    Hi from your FWW eye doc,

Statistically, if you have 20/20 uncorrected, you will fall into the "Hey, I gotta move it further away to see it." category at age 43 1/2, Be glad you have lived long enough to enjoy this problem. Also I hope that you live long enough to need cataract surgery. The preceding two problems happen to all humans who live long enough. The age of cataract onset varies drastically however according to your health, where you live, who your parents are, what you eat, how much water you drink, how much you are out in the sun not wearing sunglasses and a few thousand other things.

Rob, as a group we live longer now so there are many more people who need to wear glasses. They have become similar to shoes in that almost everyone has a pair.

Tom. That face shield is a hundred miles from being as effective as a pair of safety glasses. If you were my son, I would twist your arm to get safety glasses. Get them with side shields. Get them from an eye doc who has many sample frames for you to try. If the doc is trying to fit you from a picture of safety glasses or he only has 5 samples, he/she is not into safety glasses and will miss a lot of the subtleties that make for a happy safety glasses wearer.

You will want the reading part of the Rx focused at 16inches (NOT the 13 inches many docs fit to). 13 inches is just plain too short for woodworking. The shorter the focal length, the smaller the depth of field (How close you can see clearly to how far you can see clearly through that portion of the lens.). 13 in will not give you enough depth of field---you will find yourself leaning over the drill press, lathe, scroll saw, etc. in order to see.

The "No line" bifocals are fine for general living (reading the paper, using a screwdriver, going to the movies, driving your car, etc.), however they do cause some distortions that may drive you crazy if you do Fine Woodworking (furniture, cabinets, boxes, etc.). If you take a picture through a no line bifocal you will see that lines are not straight---It is the nature of the beast. In general expensive ones are better than cheaper ones. VERY expensive ones are VERY much better. However that won't matter to most of us because the lenses are so expensive that you would not think of wearing them in the shop---figure over $550.oo just for the lenses.

A straight top bifocal (25mm wide) will keep your lines straight and give you vision a bit clearer than $550.oo no line. Do not pay for a wider bifocal. You will not use that part of the lens. I know it sounds like you would, but you won't. When something get that far to the side (blue print, table top, etc.) you head will turn automatically because your nose is now cutting off part of your field of vision. If your head did not turn you depth perception would drop drastically.

If there is over +1.50 diopters of power above the distance perscriptipn you will need to go to a trifocal to see well from about 20 inches to 3 feet or more (there is a lot of wood working going on in that range). A no line bifocal covers that distance automatically, however not as clearly.

A pair of glasses cannot legally be called "Safety glasses" unless the lenses are in a Safety Frame. Even though it does not break the lens, it does not do you much good if something hits your glasses, knocks the lens back so it can act like an ice cream scoop. The frame has to hold that lens---you really want it to hold that lens.

Stuart, Most drug stores carry glasses lens cleaner that prevents steaming lenses. It works great; it is cheap. A "Face Shield" is NOT a Safety lens. You are supposed to wear safety glasses behind the face shield. It does not matter what that shield is made of---It is NOT a safety lens.

Statistically far more glasses are damaged off of a person instead of on their nose where they belong. Have a multi-focal (Bifocal, Trifocal, No-line) and leave it on your face. If you damage it, be glad it wasn't your eyeball that got damaged. Unless your glasses are a terrible misfit they are not going to fall off of your face---but they sure can and do fall out of pockets. On your face the lenses are not going to get abraded unless you were in real danger. The sure get abraded if you put them in a pocket with chips, screws, tools, etc. They also get abraded if you don't clean them before you wipe them. I don't know about you but all kinds of stuff ends up in my pockets when I work in the shop.

Wearing safety glasses on a cord around your neck may be cool; but for eye protection that's not so hot.

Anyone: Do not hesitate to PM me if you have questions. Jim C Bradley.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Jim i thank you for this post and totally appreciate every word of it. I wish you were an eye doc in my neighborhood. I would be in the lineup outside your door in a flash.
    Its time for me to find a new eye doc, now i have some insight into what i need to hear from the "right" one.
    Thanks again.

Btw what are your thoughts on the aspects of the various corrective eye surgeries. We have a group in the greater Toronto area advertising this stuff . When i looked up what they offer there is supposedly a method they have to correct "reading glasses" need.
    They say upfront it only lasts x many years and will need doing again. Although they do laser corrective type operations this particular corrective op does not involve laser.

You have any thoughts on these surgeries?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Rockler had them on sale. $5.99 I think. I bought 2 pair. I've been using them for years.

I agree Rob. It's one of the hardest things to accept about getting older.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

john i too had that problem and fought it for some time with the walmart readers but they get so you can see the real close stuff,, i have a prescription pair of bifocals that allow me to see threw the top with some kind of zoom and then if i need to get ral close i can look threw the cut part where the zoom is higher they have safty glass lenses and side sheilds.. after while you get past the : "i have to wear these" and for general use i can get by with none but the reading and computer work needs the glasses.. i like the magnetic oneslike stu showed,, toni from spain had a pair but i have never found a source and they are kinda preppy for the likes of me and my surroundings..also need to mention as well that the part where jim says the focal length is spot on!!! just had to go back again to get a new set of lookers and the reason was the eye doc left it as the short version and i couldnt see the monitor clear enough to do my day job and the sides of the monitor went in at th top at least 3/4" out of square.. i wasnt happy.. but got them redone for free and now i can see to type again
    Last edited by larry merlau; 03-01-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!