My wife likes all wood as long as it is red oak......
We need a new entertainment center. I started this late last summer. Due to some emergency repairs need on the shed attached to our carport prior to winter storms and then my cochlear implant surgery in October progress has been delayed until the last few days. My surgery left me with some equilbrium problems but have steadily improved until I am finally comfortable with my balance and feel it's safe to operate power tools.
It's a work in progress. The top is glued up ready for final sizing and milling the edges. There are also 2 pieces of molding to make and install.
Here it is on my assembly bench. 73" long with 4 compartments. The outer 2 compartments have 3 drawers on full extension slides.
The two inner compartments have 2 sliding shelves each for equipment. The shelves utilize the same full length extension slides.
Here is the opening on 1 of the equipment compartments. The opening is large enough for cables and to help allow hot air to escape.
In the bottom of the two equipment compartments near the front are two ventilation holes with covers. Hopefully this will help provide some cooling for the equipment.
Last a photo of 2 of the 4 doors mocked in position. The outer doors are pretty well book-matched. The equipment compartment doors started out as 4 pane divided glass. Just as I was about to glue the dividers in, I was struck by a thought. I walked into the house and checked the DVD/VCR player and the HD recorder. Sure enough the sensor for the controllers for both are located in the middle of the device, so I left the vertical mullions out. I could see the wife and I frustrated daily messing with the controllers.
So....there it is a works in progress. It's the first I have ever taken a photograph, made a few minor changes, drew my own drawings and proceeded to build. It's been a learning experience. At one point I misread my own drawing and accidentally dadoed something improperly. I didn't catch until much later in the assembly process. I had too much money invested in the red oak to start over, so I seized the opportunity for a design change. I made my first box joint jig and the drawers are joined using box joints. The jig worked quite well and accurately as I had 2 miter gauges for my tablesaw so there was little wiggle room for cutting the joints with my jig attached to the two miter gauges.