WIP......oak entertainment center......

My wife likes all wood as long as it is red oak......

We need a new entertainment center. I started this late last summer. Due to some emergency repairs need on the shed attached to our carport prior to winter storms and then my cochlear implant surgery in October progress has been delayed until the last few days. My surgery left me with some equilbrium problems but have steadily improved until I am finally comfortable with my balance and feel it's safe to operate power tools.

It's a work in progress. The top is glued up ready for final sizing and milling the edges. There are also 2 pieces of molding to make and install.

ec1_edited-1.jpg

Here it is on my assembly bench. 73" long with 4 compartments. The outer 2 compartments have 3 drawers on full extension slides.

ec2.jpg

The two inner compartments have 2 sliding shelves each for equipment. The shelves utilize the same full length extension slides.

ec3.jpg

Here is the opening on 1 of the equipment compartments. The opening is large enough for cables and to help allow hot air to escape.

ec4.jpg

In the bottom of the two equipment compartments near the front are two ventilation holes with covers. Hopefully this will help provide some cooling for the equipment.

ec5.jpg

Last a photo of 2 of the 4 doors mocked in position. The outer doors are pretty well book-matched. The equipment compartment doors started out as 4 pane divided glass. Just as I was about to glue the dividers in, I was struck by a thought. I walked into the house and checked the DVD/VCR player and the HD recorder. Sure enough the sensor for the controllers for both are located in the middle of the device, so I left the vertical mullions out. I could see the wife and I frustrated daily messing with the controllers.

So....there it is a works in progress. It's the first I have ever taken a photograph, made a few minor changes, drew my own drawings and proceeded to build. It's been a learning experience. At one point I misread my own drawing and accidentally dadoed something improperly. I didn't catch until much later in the assembly process. I had too much money invested in the red oak to start over, so I seized the opportunity for a design change. I made my first box joint jig and the drawers are joined using box joints. The jig worked quite well and accurately as I had 2 miter gauges for my tablesaw so there was little wiggle room for cutting the joints with my jig attached to the two miter gauges.

Last edited:
looks like it will do just fine ken.. i like your treatment on the cable hole looks very professional// saw your design change and it to looks good nice save;)!!!

Well....repairing soffet and fascia last fall, then my surgery and screwed up equilibrium kept me out of the shop for over 4 months but......today with the help of my oldest son and his BIL we got the entertainment center moved into the house and my wife is loading the drawers as we speak.

Red oak and red oak plywood....a lot of firsts for me....some mistakes that I was able to recover from....76 5/8" long .....25" deep.......26" high.....each raised panel door hides 3 drawers on full length extention slides. The two divided glass doors each hide 2 sliding shelves on full length extention slides.

The wife loves natural red oak so it's simply a Min-Wax Fast Drying poly applied with a foam brush for a finish.

ec1.jpgec2_edited-1.jpgec3.jpg

It's finally done.

Last edited:
That looks great Ken, I'd love to have that in my living room!!

I'm actually not a big fan of Oak, but that takes nothing away from this unit, very fine work indeed, I'm sure each time you sit down to watch TV you will get a smile on your face looking at the fine work you have done, really, that is very nice!

Great to see you back on your feet too! :thumb:

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

The next project is a swing for the patio for the LOML.

And I hope to get it done this year........LOL