Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: my new radial arm saw

my new radial arm saw

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	65450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0418.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	65451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	65452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	65453

Well here it is. it is a beast. probably one of the dumber purchases of my life but who's to say. also shown is my 10hp rotary phase converter. they don't build them like this any more. it has a 1/2hp dayton starter motor and 10hp westinghouse motor for the phase conversion
    I ended up paying $340 for the saw delivered and $200 for the phase convertor . The saw cost the the guy who delivered it $150 at the auction. Its an auction I almost went to but it was over 4 hours away so I ended up with what I would have been bidding on any way and i didn't have to drive. so thats a bonus.

Much to my disappointment, 3 of the carbide teeth on my 20" blade are broken. Everything else seems to be in great shape.

From what i can tell I will easily be able to do a 30" cross cut. probably more. the motor head seems to slide nice and smooth. the 90deg stop has a lot of play in it but I don't have to use the stop. I can lock it down to any angle I want and when its locked it is LOCKED TIGHT. The height mechanism works surprisingly well. Can't wait to get it running. If I only knew how.

It is a little big for my shop, and I do feel kinda insane for wanting this but I figure if I get it all hooked up correctly The combination of the saw and converter together should be at least double what I paid for them. The down side is I am trusting all parties that everything works.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    well first of all congrats I guess, now let me ask you how much do you know about electricity and specifically how much do you know about 3 phase electricity. The box above the starter motor looks to be a magnetic starter. It appears to be wired into the line plug so I would assume it is to start the phase converter. If so you will need an additional mag starter and fuse protection between the phase converter and the saw.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Congrats, Keith. That is indeed a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    ...If so you will need an additional mag starter and fuse protection between the phase converter and the saw.
    I'm not certain, but it looks like there's a magnetic switch built into the end of the saw arm.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Indeed it is!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

I'm not certain, but it looks like there's a magnetic switch built into the end of the saw arm.
    Unless it is built into the arm but that looks like a push button for starting activating the starter but typically a mag start would be a box containing the contactor and also the motor overloads. It would be to big to fit in the arm. a 7 1/2 hp motor at 230 Volts requires a size 1 starter which typically would be to big to fit in the arm. It might be mounted on the machine and not shown.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Keith in studying your picture I have a few observations. In the third picture the outer insulation appears to have either been pulled out of the strain relief that was there to protect the wires or has worn through. This is a danger since nor the current carrying conductors are out where the insulation can be damged which as a minimum will cause them to short out and trip a breaker but could ground out and cause a shock hazard.

In the last picture it appears from looking at it the starter for the rotory converter is on the upper left above the starter motor. You will notice a small white plug in module with a knob on top to the right of the contactor. This is a timer that is used to switch the starter motor off once the converter is up and running. If I were to guess I would guess that the box on the right contains some electrolytic capacitors. For safety sake put a cover over the starter. You can make one out of plexi-glass. I hope this helps.

that is definitely one large RAS... congrats and be sure to check this for safty issues before you go for the starter switch..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Wow! that is one tiny power drill. Oh wait, it is sitting next to the incredible Hulk.

Congrats!
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Keith in studying your picture I have a few observations. In the third picture the outer insulation appears to have either been pulled out of the strain relief that was there to protect the wires or has worn through. This is a danger since nor the current carrying conductors are out where the insulation can be damged which as a minimum will cause them to short out and trip a breaker but could ground out and cause a shock hazard.

In the last picture it appears from looking at it the starter for the rotory converter is on the upper left above the starter motor. You will notice a small white plug in module with a knob on top to the right of the contactor. This is a timer that is used to switch the starter motor off once the converter is up and running. If I were to guess I would guess that the box on the right contains some electrolytic capacitors. For safety sake put a cover over the starter. You can make one out of plexi-glass. I hope this helps.
    The loose insulation you appears to be more of a flexible conduit than just insulation. it looks as though there is a piece it slides into but I haven't checked it out to closely yet. I had no idea what that little dial was for. I am guessing the cover that is missing had a hole the little dial would stick out of so it could be adjusted. Thanks for cluing me in. I will definitely build a cover for it when its all hooked up.

There is a big starter switch in a heavy steel box attached to the frame. the guy who owned it thought it was a phase converter but I was pretty certain it wasn't. Now that I took the cover off the box I see I was correct. it looks like a larger version of the one seen in the phase converter picture. I need to pick up a new volt meter and test the legs of the phase converter and get this puppy running.
    Like everyone, I sure wish I had more time.

On a positive note. My wife says she has decided not to divorce me after buying what is obviously a very frivolous machine. I would like to think that when she sees me make my first 30" cross cut she will change her mind on the saws usefulness but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Wow! that is one tiny power drill. Oh wait, it is sitting next to the incredible Hulk.

Congrats!

Good one We are still laughing.