Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comission deadline coming up quick!!

Comission deadline coming up quick!!

Back in October I agreed to make around 100 awards for a local equestrian center's horse show. The first horse show is in exactly 60 days. (It will include a bit of flatwork, 5 of the banks and 12 of the mirrors shown in the other thread), but the first set of awards will be mostly turned. I need to turn 20 of the "bowl like" awards and the one big vase for the grand prix winner. I've got 7 of the "bowl like" awards completed and most of the others turned and ready for the second turn. I used walnut, oak and maple. The big vase, shown still on the faceplate, is all done now except for some final finishing and wood burning...oh a bit of a gloat, I have a woodburner now too! I'll update with pics of it all when they are done.

Now I remember why I turn for the fun of it. A commision with a deadline isn't fun, but it will pay well. Next round of awards are due in July and another group in August. I won't be putting it off as long next time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0262.jpg   232.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    ...I won't be putting it off as long next time!
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. Famous last words.

Congrats on the commission...looking good so far, Jeff.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Why do today, what you can put off till tomorrow?
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Looks good Jeff...and congrats on the new toy and $$$ that comes with the project.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I got 7 more awards turned and branded as of yesterday...only 6 more to go. Had some of my blanks crack pretty bad so I needed some more wood. Since he's out of town and I'm mowing his lawn while he's gone, I raided my dads wood pile for some more seasoned walnut last night that should give me enough to finish up. Don't worry, I asked him first. Got all the wood cut for the flatwork as well. Should be able to assemble it all in a weekend Then I need to transfer some text and burn it in. Tested how to do that and reversing text and using a transfer burner tip works outstanding...getting closer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0354.jpg   IMAG0348.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

we wouldnt have told on you, afterall, if you borrow something from your dad its ok.

btw, good luck saturday night, even though Im shooting for ohio state, any team that got this far is a top notch team.
    Human Test Dummy

Well I do have some freshly cut walnut he can get his hands on too...

And thanks Allen, should be a couple of great games. Hopfully the Jayhawks can get thru to Monday!
    My Website

Go Jeff Go Dont mind me just being the peanut gallery cheering squad helping you get to the finish line.
    cheers

And it's appreciated Rob!
    My Website

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Great job man