Tool prices around the world

Rob Keeble

As some know i will soon be acquiring a new jig saw.

Anyway long story but i got an email flyer from Axminister a company that sells tools in Chas Jones part of the world (UK).

Front and center of the flyer is the new Bosch jig saw listed on their website at what they seem to consider to be a bargain price of 219 Pounds. At current exchange thats $339 Canadian Dollars and pretty close to the same in US $$.

Now ordinarily the argument would be put forth that says Ahhh but theirs needs to be 220V well they want the same for the 110V version too.

Now you check out someone like CPO Bosch in USA

I am pretty certain this model is pretty much exactly the same. Perhaps a little different on the plastic casing but thats just cosmetic for the market.

Either way at $149 ok add shipping and taxes we still got a long way to go to $339 besides if you purchased via the web with them you would still be in for additional shipping although the Vat tax is included.

All said and done our fellow woodworkers in the UK and Europe have it tough when it comes to tool pricing by the looks of this.

This aint 10 or 20 or 30 percent more we talking double and some. :(

Then consider reconditioned only $100. :D

You should see the prices of tools here Rob, for instance: this Dewalt router http://www.alaball.com/tienda/fresadora-900w-d26204k-p-90.html costs 359.84€ that same one at Rocklerhttp://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=27075&site=ROCKLER at 199$. With a conservative exchange rate of 1€ = 1.25$ that would be 159.2€ to me VS 359.84.:bonkers::bonkers:

In my next trip to US I'm going to buy a big suitcase that is going to come back filled with tools, the only drawback is the voltage if they are to be electric ones.
But that's what transformers were invented for, weren't they?

Last edited:
Can you get the tools through customs or are you related to the late Hudini?

I know, you just take a plane and come in by a different router. I know you saw that coming. But you know the drill. I just have to try these things.

Enjoy,

JimB

You wood start something like that. Are you going to get to the root of the problem, leaf it alone or branch out in another direction?

You wood start something like that. Are you going to get to the root of the problem, leaf it alone or branch out in another direction?

Jim, Glenn, I should sue you, you both made me spat my coffe on my screen monitor :rofl::rofl::rofl: Thanks for making me laugh, I needed it!:thumb:

I should plan(e) it carefully without leaving any bit out, and use all the s(h)avings to buy what I want...

This is fun, it makes me brush up my knowledge of english.

Last edited: