Lacquer EM6000 and Poly 9000 - Discount this month from Target Coatings

Dan Mosley

The other day I noticed I was running low on Lacquer so,......after posting and reading Charlies comments and Bernies recent post with more comments of Charlies I decided I wanted to try these finishes (EM6000 and 9000 along with a couple 8oz containers of Retarder). This time I was thinking about the application without having to spray like Bernie was commenting on and I to would like to be able to apply without the spraying alot of times.

On the phone today to order the products I was asked if I was a company or individual - stated individual but belonged to a couple woodturning internet sites - Family Woodworking being one of them. I couldn't decide at first about if I wanted quart sizes or gallon sizes because I have never tried this finsih before. The lady asked if she gave me a nice discount if it would help to make up my mind..........I ordered the gallons and then asked if she would extend any type of discount to others. She (I think he name was Paula) said that for the balance of the month she would give anyone a 20% discount off on their order - just to mention the site and ask for her or mention my name for a reference.....................

As mentioned the suggested starting point for the wipe on is 10% distilled water - 10% retarder and if you need to you can add more retarder.

Well I hope this helps anyone else interested in trying out Target Coatings products........................Dan

Dan my EM6000 and 9000 with retarder came in yesterday. I also ordered a Paasche Talon with a fan aircap like the big guns that has a 2" to 3" pattern. I think it should be here today. I opted not to get the spray booth. I got in contact with several people who air brush finishes and said with water based finishes get a box fan with a pleated furance filter. Also talked with Jeff at Target Coatings and he said the fan with a good filter would be fine. He said all you need to do is collect the overspray. Anyway have a lazy susan sitting right in front of it and if the air brush comes in today will see how it fares.

Attachments

• Airbrush Filter 1.jpg
    Airbrush Filter 1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Airbrush Setup 1.jpg
    Airbrush Setup 1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 30
I have a Paasche but have not used it really (see Pic 1). I guess now im going to have to try it out. After reading the post I went out and took it out of the drawer and looked closer at it. It seems to have the tip you mentioned so im going to try it out on my next day off.

Picture 2 - shows another 2 guns i have - little black one is a Badger and the aqua colored top one is a Critter - Neithter one is that great because you really can not adjust a spray pattern/flow that well. I use the badger frequently because its fast and easy to keep clean. It works alright on smaller projects for quickly coating.

Picture 3 - HVLP from Lowes - I use this one when im spraying large projects or coating many at once - which is not real frequent but its nice to have at those times. Its takes longer to clean when im done also but you have much more control on pattern etc.....

Picture 4 - is a area in the garage that is setup for my spraying/dying/finishing - However, I do not spray in the garage for obvious reasons. If I have to spray I do it outside in the driveway with no cars around. So this area really does not get used like a true finishing area. I usually will setup and spray outside and bring the project into the garage to the back where it sits and drys without dust and air movement.

I am hoping that with the 6000 and 9000 I can develop a wipe on finish that works very well

Attachments

• Air Brush-1.jpg
    Air Brush-1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Badger-1.jpg
    Badger-1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 14
  • HVLP.jpg
    HVLP.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Finish Area.jpg
    Finish Area.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 15
If you get on the Target Coatings mailing list, they have a 10% sale most of the time, and an additional 20% if you use the code for the month. This month the "not secret" promo code, MRCH12 is shown on their web site. They threaten full list price for phone in orders, and I have never heard of a lower price than you get directly from their web site (with the promo code). Go to http://www.targetcoatings.com/shop/ Every few months they offer free shipping on gallon quantities of a few items... that is when I order something I want to try out.

If you have been reluctant to use a regular spray gun, reconsider when you try Target coatings. I clean my turbine guns in about 60-90 seconds, in a sink. I clean my conversion gun (similar to the one Dan Mosley showed for "high volume use" in about 45 seconds. Target Coatings clean up really easily.

Yep just saw the website - I guess they gave me the discount because I did call it in from work and didnt pay any attention to the website promo.....Ill keep watch because I like free shipping...