Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I use a "cardboard" barrel as a chip collector?

Can I use a "cardboard" barrel as a chip collector?

Well my plans to do more woodworking have not been going my way. My work schedule just has not left much time or energy for this but I really really want to so I make the time whenever I can. Anyway.....I bought the 2 HP HF dust collector but still have not run any piping to it yet. I cut and sanded a few things in the shop a few weeks ago and the dust is VERY bad in such a small shop so I really want to get it up and working. I also did a lot of reading about dust collection and several of you have offered good advise to me as well. One thing that I read about was adding a "chip" collector to the system. The main reason I want to do this is so I dont have to empty my DC bags. I would like for most of it to go to another container that will be easier to empty. I found this "cardboard" barrel at work and wondered about using it. The inside of the barrel is coated in a wax type coating. Has anyone used a barrel like this or should I just get a trash can and a lid from Rockler?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0698 (Small).JPG  
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

tom some have used that type of barrel for the chips.. and i think you can make a top with some pvc fittings to get the separator to work, and save you some cash as well loo for some plans on chip separator..what happens is the big stuff stops at the card board barrel and the dust continues on to the filter bags..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

That's the kind of barrel that came with my Onieda system, with one exception. Mine has a hole and flange in the lid to accept the ducting.

I don't see any problem using that as long as you can figure a way to get the ducting into the barrel.

That type of barrel will work very well. Use two PVC or ABS toilet flanges from the hardware store, and a couple of pipe elbows, and you're in business.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

That type of barrell is better than the cheap trash cans available today IMHO.
    Bob
    Making saw dust in SW Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer View Post
    That type of barrell is better than the cheap trash cans available today IMHO.
    Wow. This is good to know. These barrels get thrown out all the time at work. I grabbed an extra lid the other day as well so I can screw one up.
    Does there need to be a baffle on the inside or is it just an inlet and outlet?
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    Wow. This is good to know. These barrels get thrown out all the time at work. I grabbed an extra lid the other day as well so I can screw one up.
    Does there need to be a baffle on the inside or is it just an inlet and outlet?
    A thein-type baffle would probably be the most efficient, but just having elbows on both the inlet and the outlet - facing in opposite directions - will work quite well.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

The idea of the chip separator is to make the input spin around the barrel, and as it slows down, the heavier chips drop. The lighter dust is then pulled from the slower part of the stream. In a cyclone the diameter is made progressively smaller, to keep the speed up and carry the chips down, then the air is pulled out of the center where it has practically stopped rotating. With a simple chip separator, it may only get a 1/2 revolution before it is pulled out, but if I were building one, I would look at an inlet that aimed the chips around the outside, and outlet in the center, with a tube that stuck down into the bin a few inches.

I only use my chip separator on the jointer/planer where I make a large volume of chips. Since the chip separator reduces the effectiveness of the suction, I do not use it on the sander, saw, or other devices that make find ugly dust.

Be sure you do not have an air leak in the separator. Not only will it reduce suction from your machine, but it disturbs the airflow, and messes up the dropping process.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

+1 for the Thien baffle.

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have the hf 2hp collector (Love it so far after 2 years) and I was using the bag system that came with mine just like the dust collector I used before. That was a real pain. I have recently rigged something up so I can collect the chips in a regular garbage can with a normal lawn and leaf bag in it. the bag is only to tie up so dust doesn't blow around when I move it or when the trash guys come. I just pull out the full can and put in the spare I have. Its basically a ledge and a riser that the collector body sits on. I have foam rubber in between the collector and the ledge that keeps the air and dust inside the can where it belongs.