Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Update

Bench Update

It is no longer a project, but now a tool to use to build other projects. I have been using it for a while now and I have not run across any negatives in the design. The vise is working great, but the biggest time saver are the holdfasts. With a quick whack of the mallet the holdfast is set and the work secured. Another whack and the work is released. So fast, yet so simple. I have used them in the past, but using them with this bench, built specifically for their use, has made a big difference in my woodworking. I find myself securing my work more because it is so quick.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0822.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	65610
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Oh my, What a messy messy bench! I actually see shavings and clutter!!!

Boy that looks great, Can even see the sheen on the bench. Fantastic Bill!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Yummy yummy, I bet it was difficult starting to use it and leave some marks on it, at least it was for me when I made mine.

BTW how much Titebond paid you to make that subliminal advertisement of their product?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Very nice Bill yeah Toni i thought that too. But i was not sure if it was Titebond or Gramercy given the ravings on the holdfasts. So Bill whats ya making?
    cheers

Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together. I see a table leg in the works.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

looking good bill, and glad your back to making things for you and enjoying the bench along the way
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Yes, a table leg from the Spray Leg Table. Just glued up the last of the ebony leg cuffs yesterday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0824.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	65615

I am hoping to plane the cuffs down to final thickness with the legs today, but I think that won't happen as I been rescheduled by the boss to work on the laundry closet revamp today. Once I get the legs done, I will post on the Spray Leg Table build thread.

Because of the tight standards set by Glenn, I was going to reorganize my shavings in neat piles, but I got caught up in the work and forgot! I did manage to clean and buff my clamps to a nice shine. I hope that counts for something.
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    It is no longer a project, but now a tool to use to build other projects. I have been using it for a while now and I have not run across any negatives in the design. The vise is working great, but the biggest time saver are the holdfasts. With a quick whack of the mallet the holdfast is set and the work secured. Another whack and the work is released. So fast, yet so simple. I have used them in the past, but using them with this bench, built specifically for their use, has made a big difference in my woodworking. I find myself securing my work more because it is so quick.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0822.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	65610
    Yep, when it comes to my hold fasts, "From my cold dead hands" just about covers it
    I think I will try to buy two more, sometimes two are just not enough.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Yep, when it comes to my hold fasts, "From my cold dead hands" just about covers it
    I think I will try to buy two more, sometimes two are just not enough.....
    Yes, I need more myself. I find I am robbing Peter to pay Paul, if I have several things going on the bench.

Stu has a real good point. I think more than two would do just nicely too. I dont know how i got going without a bench now when i look back. But as i said in your other thread Bill, i think your sticking to a hardwood top is going to pay off in the long run.
    cheers