Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench Update

So.. how you you like the deep apron? Have you used that feature much?

I put a slightly shallower apron on mine (6", just enough for two rows of dog holes) and am having serious second thoughts. While I do absolutely love the holdfasts as well and they work fantastically on the bench top, I find that sometimes I want to clamp down to the bench top from the sides and haven't really had nearly as much use for side clamping as I thought I would and am seriously considering ripping it back off...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    So.. how you you like the deep apron? Have you used that feature much?

I put a slightly shallower apron on mine (6", just enough for two rows of dog holes) and am having serious second thoughts. While I do absolutely love the holdfasts as well and they work fantastically on the bench top, I find that sometimes I want to clamp down to the bench top from the sides and haven't really had nearly as much use for side clamping as I thought I would and am seriously considering ripping it back off...
    I knew the deep apron would have the disadvantage of not being able to clamp down from the sides but I have not run across a situation yet where it was needed. I always intend to build another bench, so it was not a worry. As for using the apron, yes I use it when jointing or even cutting large boards. You might want to modify your apron by cutting slots where it meets the top in spots for clamp access. I saw that in an old woodworking book that I have. I will look for it tonight and see if I can post a picture of what it shows.

I see you live in the Gorge. I spent a year over in Goldendale working on a project (2001). I did a lot of golfing around the area and liked the location.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde