Bench Update

Bill Satko

It is no longer a project, but now a tool to use to build other projects. I have been using it for a while now and I have not run across any negatives in the design. The vise is working great, but the biggest time saver are the holdfasts. With a quick whack of the mallet the holdfast is set and the work secured. Another whack and the work is released. So fast, yet so simple. I have used them in the past, but using them with this bench, built specifically for their use, has made a big difference in my woodworking. I find myself securing my work more because it is so quick.DSCN0822.jpg

Oh my, What a messy messy bench! I actually see shavings and clutter!!! :eek:

Boy that looks great, Can even see the sheen on the bench. Fantastic Bill!

Yummy yummy, I bet it was difficult starting to use it and leave some marks on it, at least it was for me when I made mine.

BTW how much Titebond paid you to make that subliminal advertisement of their product? :p

Yes, a table leg from the Spray Leg Table. Just glued up the last of the ebony leg cuffs yesterday.

DSCN0824.jpg

I am hoping to plane the cuffs down to final thickness with the legs today, but I think that won't happen as I been rescheduled by the boss to work on the laundry closet revamp today. Once I get the legs done, I will post on the Spray Leg Table build thread.

Because of the tight standards set by Glenn, I was going to reorganize my shavings in neat piles, but I got caught up in the work and forgot! I did manage to clean and buff my clamps to a nice shine. I hope that counts for something.

It is no longer a project, but now a tool to use to build other projects. I have been using it for a while now and I have not run across any negatives in the design. The vise is working great, but the biggest time saver are the holdfasts. With a quick whack of the mallet the holdfast is set and the work secured. Another whack and the work is released. So fast, yet so simple. I have used them in the past, but using them with this bench, built specifically for their use, has made a big difference in my woodworking. I find myself securing my work more because it is so quick.
View attachment 65610

Yep, when it comes to my hold fasts, "From my cold dead hands" just about covers it :D
I think I will try to buy two more, sometimes two are just not enough..... :rolleyes:

Stu has a real good point. I think more than two would do just nicely too. I dont know how i got going without a bench now when i look back. But as i said in your other thread Bill, i think your sticking to a hardwood top is going to pay off in the long run.

So.. how you you like the deep apron? Have you used that feature much?

I put a slightly shallower apron on mine (6", just enough for two rows of dog holes) and am having serious second thoughts. While I do absolutely love the holdfasts as well and they work fantastically on the bench top, I find that sometimes I want to clamp down to the bench top from the sides and haven't really had nearly as much use for side clamping as I thought I would and am seriously considering ripping it back off...

So.. how you you like the deep apron? Have you used that feature much?

I put a slightly shallower apron on mine (6", just enough for two rows of dog holes) and am having serious second thoughts. While I do absolutely love the holdfasts as well and they work fantastically on the bench top, I find that sometimes I want to clamp down to the bench top from the sides and haven't really had nearly as much use for side clamping as I thought I would and am seriously considering ripping it back off...

I knew the deep apron would have the disadvantage of not being able to clamp down from the sides but I have not run across a situation yet where it was needed. I always intend to build another bench, so it was not a worry. As for using the apron, yes I use it when jointing or even cutting large boards. You might want to modify your apron by cutting slots where it meets the top in spots for clamp access. I saw that in an old woodworking book that I have. I will look for it tonight and see if I can post a picture of what it shows.

I see you live in the Gorge. I spent a year over in Goldendale working on a project (2001). I did a lot of golfing around the area and liked the location.