Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotton...whatever is started

Cotton...whatever is started

I have got to name this boat. I am torn between Cotton Row, my initial idea and Cottonwood.

I was playing with different designs looking for a pulling(rowing) boat. I took a previous design and made it more like a scull. Added a deck with coamings, lowered the profile while trying to keep some traditional styling in the boat. For those of us that are more experienced boaters (read: older) keep some stability since this is for exercise and recreation. Long enough to take advantage of the sliding seat. For use on protected water but keep the bow tall enough that it can deal with some chop too. Crown the decks to divert any that water off to the sides.

It will be built SOF. It is just shy of 19' waterline. I am building my own sliding seat and outriggers. The seat is done but I have not started on the outriggers yet.

This is is most recent rendering. Outriggers are show just for looks and not to scale. As I said, it will be a complete drop in unit. I working on making the outrigger quickly removable for easier transportation.

I started cutting the frames today. Actually I got them cut out, just need to do a little clean up work on them and sand the edges a little smoother for them to be complete.

I rough cut them from the plywood with the jig saw and do the final cuts on the bandsaw. One thing I hate about the bandsaw is those stupid ball bearing guides! I don't know why anyone thinks they are an improvement. They scream like a banshee and I just put new ones on it. It's so loud I have to wear ear protection or I think I would go mad!

Instead of buying new bearings I should have bought the parts to convert it over to cool blocks. It sure would have been money better spent.

Here you can see my prototype sliding seat. I have the base built and dry fitted together. I want to get the frame built and put in the boat before I glued it anything. I want to make sure I like this and I see no reason I wont.

One thing I know I have to change is the looks of the footrest. That big slab may bet totally functional, but it sure is ugly. Not sure what I am going to do but it really needs something!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

What a beautiful craft Jeff. I know little of kayaks but, you do have the gift of design for these things IMHO. Do you use a router and a carriage jig to shape the seat?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks Glenn. This is going to a rowing boat, not a kayak. Sort of an oversized scull if know that term.

The seat I bought. I looked at a lot of options for sliding seat and realized that I was spinning my wheels trying to reinvent the wheel so I just bought replacement units.

Looks like a nice design, Jeff. Looking forward to seeing the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    I have got to name this boat. I am torn between Cotton Row, my initial idea and Cottonwood...
    Well, there's always Cotton Pickin'. That way, when one of your customers is working to build it, his wife can come in the shop and say "Aren't you done with that Cotton Pickin' boat yet?" Or when it's done, she can say "You spend all your time down at the lake with your Cotton Pickin' boat!"
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

ROFLOL! LOVE IT!!

One of my teen age patients wanted a horse. She wanted to name it "Meanwhile Back at the Ranch" because that phrase seemed to appear in so many Westerns."

Enjoy,

JimB

Of course you could name it "Caught in a Storm."

When I try to post this I get an error message. It says I have to have at least 5 characters. I think its counter is off.

Well, there's always Cotton Pickin'. That way, when one of your customers is working to build it, his wife can come in the shop and say "Aren't you done with that Cotton Pickin' boat yet?" Or when it's done, she can say "You spend all your time down at the lake with your Cotton Pickin' boat!"[/QUOTE]
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

It has taken me a couple of days to get back to work on the boat. I have spent a few minutes here and there over the last couple of days. I caught a couple of mistakes and today I finally got most of the frame dry fitted together.

As you can see the stringer are way longer than needed. I bought 12 foot lumber and I ripped and scarfed them together. They end up being 23 feet (+/-) long. Other than being in the way being to long isn't a problem. After I am happy with what I have and lash the frames in place I will trim them back. I always save the cutoffs because they can scarfed together to make longer pieces.

I couldn't resist putting the rowing unit in the boat once I got the stringers in place the bungees tight.

Placing it in the boat helped me see what I had but left me with about as many questions as answers. Still not sure how I am going to mount it to the boat. Looking at it I came up a couple of ideas that might work. Also thinking I need one more partial frame to support the unit.

From this angle I could see that I could shave an inch off height off of the rowing unit frame. That will lower the center of gravity and making the boat a lot more stable. There is enough space under the foot board that I can slide it downward and my heels could actually be below the rowing unit if I wanted. Plenty of room to make it me properly.

Tomorrow I will lash a few frames in place that will not change. But I am think I am going to be pulling some of them out and making some alterations.

Will there be a rudder on this? Seems like with the length and light weight it looks pretty fast...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Get out of here! Jeff this is awesome! Do you have links to others you have built. Very interesting stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug DeVore View Post
    Get out of here! Jeff this is awesome! Do you have links to others you have built. Very interesting stuff!
    Here's a good start, Doug:

http://www.kudzucraft.com/

Jeff's done a few other build threads here, too.

Then there's the book.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com