learned the hard way again today

allen levine

my first mistake was sanding down the cherry doors to 220 grit.
120 would have been more than sufficient.
then my next mistake was being too lazy to go out and buy some prestain.
then I used stain and got some blotchiness on some spots which makes me very unhappy.
I rarely use stain.
either I sand them all down again, but I doubt Ill ever get a good matching even color.
not sure which direction Im going now, Ill wait for the stain to dry completely overnight.

Not happy, who knows if minwax is a good stain choice, its just convenient

If you were farther south, a good suntan works well for cherry. I get blotches when I do my usual oil rub, but some hours in the Sun evens it out a lot.

also you might be able wash the stain off with some mineral spirts if you do it soon allen

too late for that, I tried sanding some of the back of a door this morning and reapply stain, but I think at this point I have to leave well enough alone, and not make the mistake on the cabinet doors.

Mr. B-oak, pine, ash, it takes any stain Ive applied great. I get blothes if Im not careful with maple or cherry.

Im leaving it hang for a while, I have to go start and make a medicine cabinet and pullout hamper.

Well Allen i had some good success with mix waxes alternatives sold at our depot. The varathane range of gel stains.

I used them before i even knew squat of what i have learnt here and they were pretty idiot proof on plywood red oak for a finish that changed it to more like white oak.

Also yesterday i stained some MDF with gel stain and a sponge brush and it came out real well to my surprise.

BUt i can see why some guys develop a finishing routine with a certain known range of go to approaches and then stick to it.

At some point in time try the deft lacquer range and try to spray the stuff. Larry taught me and man i was like a kid in a candy store when i saw the result. :) and to demonstrate we took pieces of scrap that had not even been sanded.

I aint ever done anything YET with Cherry. First need to get hold of some and be brave enough to go for it.

rob, Im all set to spray, but spraying in my garage is not an option.

I filled in a 3foot by 3 foot piece of cement to repair a sidewalk block, and I had to go to court because I didnt obtain a permit to lay cement. IM sure the nn had alot to do with it.
If I spray, Id probably have a warrant issued for my arrest by the end of the day.
Not worth it. I would have loved to move my shop, this being one of the reasons.
Aint happenning right away, so hand finishes it is, and I do it in my home.

larry had mentioned gel stains when I did my first project, the radiator covers, I should have opted for that again. Not sure if it prevents blotches, but gives a more uniform coat.

After I put some finish on it, Ill post a picture.

Im not making these doors over, the worst blotches are in the panel raised board.

I miss my old finish room, it was twice the size.

Attachments

• cabinet 236 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 236 (Medium).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 24
  • cabinet 237 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 237 (Medium).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 24
  • cabinet 238 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 238 (Medium).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 25
Not only are those blotches not-so-bad, Allen, but a few months of sunlight exposure will likely render them pretty much invisible. Exposure to the atmosphere renders cherry almost 'self-healing.'

the only think I liked about the cherry I used for the panels was that it was all preplaned down to around 7/8th, very smooth, and I only had to make a couple of light passes to have it ready to go.
The boards were straight and I didnt have to do much milling of it all.
I think Im going to purchase alot of my lumber from this dealer(rosenzweig lumber in the bronx) in this stage.
He was 4.66 bf for cherry 6in wide, and around 5.25 over 6 inches wide.
Very fair prices, and alot less work for me, and I get to pick each board.
I dont agree with his measuring methods, but I guess they are allowing for the milling of all 4 sides and surfaces.
Ill have to ask him next time I go to him

Allen I wouldn't make them over either , I've used Cherry but never had to use the pre-stain before on Cherry - mostly use the pre-stain on the soft wood . Who would have ever though this would happen like this .:huh:............MB :dunno: