Tiny Woodworking

Dave Richards

You've probably seen this Penguin Donkey before.

Here it is in real 3D. :D

The real one is 3" long by 2-3/16" tall. It was made directly from the SketchUp model. I didn't bother correcting the material on the edges of the plywood box because I knew they wouldn't show in the final.

Thanks Vaughn.

I had to Google Penguin donkey, too, the first time I came across the name. It's kind of neat little chair-side table/bookcase. the real thing is only about 15" tall. I managed to find someone who has a real one and they gave me the dimensions from it.

Nice execution, both virtual and physical. What's the physical one going to be for? A period dollhouse? :thumb:

Very nice Dave. Proportions look excellent compared to the full scale item.

Now who owns the train and what set is it? :D:thumb: Seeing the train I think my wife would be terrified if i won the lotto. ;)

Thank you, gentlemen.

Frank, I think the doll house market would be a great option for this kind of stuff. Awhile back I had a request for a doll house sized Arts and Crafts style bed. I had drawn this bed by Gary Rogowski before and so it was the work of a few seconds to produce a version at the requested size.

The Penguin Donkey was originally drawn at life size and so a simple scaling was all it took to make it right for this project. Seeing it in my hand makes me more interested in building a real one at full size.

Rob, that locomotive is a 1666 Prairie from Lionel. It was made in late 46 and belonged to my father. You can see more photos here. The cars are just a collection of pieces my father liked or was given when he was a boy. I remember playing with it when I was my son's age. The loco needs some servicing and I'm looking around for an expert to take it to.

Dave try this forum and request for someone to recommend a Lionel service dealer near you. Just go to the 3 rail sub-forum (the first one listed) and post your question, good folks there too! :)

I lke building miniatures also. I used to do doll houses but the laser guys at $39 - $59 killed that business! Russ

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/forums

Hi Russ. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I was originally going to have a tiny bevel gauge made in bronze-filled stainless steel. They said it looked too much like a weapon although I assured them that even most of the wood in my shop would make a better weapon than a 2" long bevel gauge key ring. Even when I fixed the blade in the folded position they said it was a weapon. :rolleyes: So I did the donkey Penguin instead.