Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A good sliding miter saw?

A good sliding miter saw?

Hello all,

I am looking for a good sliding miter saw, probably a 10". Any suggestions or recommendations?
    So mote it be.

http://www.SCAregalia.com - Masonic regalia and supply
    Save 10% with the code: BROTHER

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    1 word DeWalt I'f had mine for a number of years and still enjoy using it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I have yet to find one that will stand up to the riggers of being worked every day. Next on the list to give it my best to turn into a quivering pile of junk is the Kapex.
    So far the Makita has taking the longest to wear out but wear out it does.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 03-14-2012 at 02:18 AM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I have a dewalt dual bevel 12" slider. It has had a lot of use and has even done a number of hardy plank gable ends on some houses. hardy plank is like cutting thin pieces of concrete.

so far i would say it is a well built machine after 5 years of use. I have been told by 2 different people that makita has a little better accuracy but I cant say for sure if it does or if that accuracy will hold up over time.

I would get the 12". if your getting a slider its not that much more money to go 12" instead of 10". If you plan on moving it around much then maybe the 10 is lighter.

You may want to look a few used ones. Mine was actually used when I bought it but it had hardly been used at all so it was like new.

One last thing. I have met two floor guys that had short use of their rigid compound miters. both of them purchased a rigid in a pinch and used them as long as they lasted. both had motor problems. no idea if thats indicative of all rigid or if it was
    a short lived problem that was letter corrected with upgrades in the design. i think both of these were at least 4 years back
    Last edited by keith Boutselis; 03-14-2012 at 03:14 AM.

I've had a DeWalt 10" slider for about 7 years. It was perfectly accurate right out of the box and has never needed adjustment. It gets used all the time.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

dewalt,hitachi,makita all have there place, as for size depends on what your doing with one if you need more depth of cut then go with a 12 but if not then stay at ten for more accuracy.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    I have yet to find one that will stand up to the riggers of being worked every day. Next on the list to give it my best to turn into a quivering pile of junk is the Kapex.
    So far the Makita has taking the longest to wear out but wear out it does.
    Someday, I will replace my venerable Hitachi chop saw, but I will wait until you test the Festool.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Someday, I will replace my venerable Hitachi chop saw, but I will wait until you test the Festool.
    I have been stewing over the price of one of them for sometime now. But I tell ya as fast as I use up the 600 dollar range ones I have decided to give one a shot and see if it can stand the test of time and travel. So I'll let ya know when I pull the trigger and we can both see how long it stays in my good graces.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I have ~4 year old makita 12" slider and its been good to me. I keep hearing about slop in the dewalt 12" slider (not in the non slider) but have no direct experience, enough people mentioned it that there is either something to it or a pretty well organized disinformation campaign .

Bosch has the new one that doesn't take as much room behind it that looks pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I10K3N-UCnY although I haven't actually seen one or talked to anyone who has used it yet.

One thing I wish I'd gotten earlier is the Rigid miter saw stand, the large wheels make it easy to roll and it folds up pretty well (as good as you could hope for). Having the extensions and the stand at a usable height is a real back saver. I have the AC9944 model, looks like there is another (newer?) one (AC9945) with more protrusions that might not fold up as well.. not sure.

Sorry, my Dewalt is 8/1/2" not 10". Still the best saw I ever had and it's cutting capabilities fit 98% of what I need.

That being said the Bosch is one sweet tool. If I had the cash I would probably invest in one. Just for the fact it can sit flat against a wall and probably has much better dust collection.
    Faith, Hope & Charity