Four Shredded Canadian .................

Les Elm

Currency blanks that I cast in Polyester Resin and turned into 4 Sierra ballpoints for a local tax accounting firm.

Les

SierraFour.jpg

SierraOne.jpg

SierraThree.jpg

SierraTwo.jpg

DSC07865.jpg

The money makes a good looking pen barrel. It looks great as a pen.

If you chop up the money and cast it into a pen blank, then turn it on a lathe, why don't you have paper "edges" to fight? It seems like where ever your lathe tool cut across a paper edge that you would have a "crack" the thickness of the paper. All of your paper pieces play nice and lay there with the flat side towards the outside of the finished barrel. Do you do Voo Doo or what? I don't see how you could anticipate where the cut would be in order to place the paper while making the blank.

Enjoy,

JimB

The money makes a good looking pen barrel. It looks great as a pen.

If you chop up the money and cast it into a pen blank, then turn it on a lathe, why don't you have paper "edges" to fight? It seems like where ever your lathe tool cut across a paper edge that you would have a "crack" the thickness of the paper. All of your paper pieces play nice and lay there with the flat side towards the outside of the finished barrel. Do you do Voo Doo or what? I don't see how you could anticipate where the cut would be in order to place the paper while making the blank.

Enjoy,

JimB

Jim,
No Voo-Doo involved,

1. Spread the shredded money out on a piece of glass
2. Sand a Sierra tube with 320 grit
3. Install a snug fitting dowel in one end of the tube
4. Spray the tube with Elmer's spray adhesive
5. Roll the tube through the shredded money applying pressure with the palm of the hand
6. Spray the money covered tube with Elmer's spray adhesive and roll through shredded money
7. Repeat #5 & #6 until the brass tube no longer shows through the shredded money
8. Remove the dowel and trim the ends flush with the tube
9. Saturate the shredded money with Thin CA
10. Let dry over night
11. Snip any loose shredded money ends the may be sticking up around the blank
12. Cast in Resin Saver Mold using Polyester Resin

Les

Last edited: