microwave cabinet question

allen levine

my son purchased a microwave that matches his new stove and is attached under the above the stove cabinet.
He doesnt have a microwave there now, so we have to take out the lower cabinet and make one higher to accomodate the height of the microwave.

can I make the cabinet the exact way I make cabinets, with just 3/4 inch ply with dados and rabbits, or does it need to have bracing on the bottom to hold the weight of the microwave?

Like Larry said, the microwave will have a bracket that gets mounted to the wall, and holds the bulk of the weight. You'll need three holes in the bottom of the cabinet, though - one for the power cord, and two (about 3/8" diameter) for the front mounting bolts that go down thru the cabinet and into the top front of the microwave.

BTW, installation can be done with one person, but a second pair of hands will make it easier.

Are you venting it to the outside, or recirculating it? Just curious.

my son was here tonight to help me move the vanity light, and he said it mounts to the wall.
I didnt know that, my old microwave mounted to the cabinet, I didnt see him mount my new one.
He has an exhaust fan in back of his range now, but I think hes going to close it and just the filter and fan on the bottom of the microwave so he can tile the entire wall.
He hasnt decided yet. He gets the appliances friday so Ill go take a look with him saturday.
Regardless, the top cabinet has to come out and be replaced with a much shorter one, but because of the soffit, Im not sure if we will be able to fit a cabinet, maybe just a small open built in shelf.
we have to measure it all and figure it out.

I dont have experience with any of this, but his kitchen is so crappy, we both figure I cant do any damage.
Im not making a large monetary investment, because to be truthful, a few years of working with hardwoods doesnt qualify me to design and make a kitchen. He has alot more faith than I do in my skill.

Last edited:
Like Larry said, the microwave will have a bracket that gets mounted to the wall, and holds the bulk of the weight. You'll need three holes in the bottom of the cabinet, though - one for the power cord, and two (about 3/8" diameter) for the front mounting bolts that go down thru the cabinet and into the top front of the microwave.

BTW, installation can be done with one person, but a second pair of hands will make it easier.

Are you venting it to the outside, or recirculating it? Just curious.

That's about the way it is. Most microwaves I've installed have the wall bracket. Some have a lower channel that you set the back bottom edge of the MW in which acts like a pivot. As for the holes in the floor of the upper cabinet, the MW should have come with a paper template for the hole locations. That has to be placed on the underside of the cabinet, not on the inside. Or, there may be measurements from the edges provided. Whatever your decision is on venting, the MW has to be set up for that (as far as cover plates, for non-vented) before installation.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

There is a wall mount bracket that catches and holds the bottom rear of the mw, but you DO need a cabinet, two long bolts will go through the floor of the cabinet and catch the front top of the mw, with out those it will fall. As far as how to build the cabinet, I would say your standard cabinet will be fine. I install kitchens, some are very low buget and frankly low end all the way around. These low budget cabainet, as well as the high end, have nothing special about them, no re-inforcement, you'll do great.

FWIW, if there's a hole in the wall for a vent, I'd urge you to use it. The recirculating fan unit does little to clear the air compared to moving the steam and smells outdoors if he's cooking up a bunch of stuff.