Thread: PayPal announces ‘PayPal Here’

PayPal announces ‘PayPal Here’

PayPal announces ‘PayPal Here’ iPhone payment system to compete with Square

via BGR: The Three Biggest Letters In Tech by Dan Graziano on 3/15/12

PayPal on Thursday unveiled “PayPal Here,” a small accessory similar to the solution offered by Square, that can be used to accept credit card payments on an iPhone. The reader is a large blue triangle that connects to the top of an iPhone through the headphone jack. With the help of the “PayPal Here” iOS app, a merchant can input a sum and have a consumer swipe his or her credit or debit card to make payments. PayPal’s app also features a “Scan Card” feature, which uses the iPhone’s camera to record a credit card number or even a check. The app can track invoices and cash payments, and be used with checks, credit cards and debit cards. PayPal Here comes on the heels of the company’s unveiling of an upcoming digital wallet service that looks to compete with Google Wallet.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Interesting. I will probably get one. I have Square now. All this electronic, wireless "stuff" actually is getting kinda scary.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Rennie, I can't tell if it's a technological advance or a joke. Shows you how behind I am.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

What confuses me is the card readers at Home Depot have "Pay Pal" logo on them.

Do you have to key in your pay pal email at the borg to use it?

Any more I find it confusing to me when I see someone at the store get their order rung up and THEN pull out their checkbook to start writing a check, versus just using their debit card. I can only imagine how long it would take for someone to try and type in their paypal Id and password on one of those little doohickeys.

But maybe there's some kind of card or rf-id thing you can get from paypal to make it easier.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Interesting. I don't have an iphone but I do have an Android one, hopefully soon they will make it compatible.
    So mote it be.

http://www.SCAregalia.com - Masonic regalia and supply
    Save 10% with the code: BROTHER

I've not done the research...yet...but my bet is that it has noting to do with others paying you via PayPal (having to type in log ins and passwords) but rather you collecting money from them into your PayPal account. They pay by credit card and the money funnels through your PP account just as if you were paid for a sale on ebay, etc.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post

Any more I find it confusing to me when I see someone at the store get their order rung up and THEN pull out their checkbook to start writing a check, versus just using their debit card. I can only imagine how long it would take for someone to try and type in their paypal Id and password on one of those little doohickeys.

But maybe there's some kind of card or rf-id thing you can get from paypal to make it easier.

It is confusing and, as I said, "scary". I use a debit card extensively. But one store I trade at recently changed it's system. I no longer have to use my PIN they just ring it up. That means anyone who get ahold of my debit card can start spending from it, no protection.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

The only place I ever used my debit card was the grocery store, and I've stopped that. I've pretty much stopped using the debit card altogether just because they don't have the same protection that a credit card gives you.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/luckys-supe...9#.T2dDshEgfK0
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post

Yup, a debit card... https://personal.paypal.com/us/cgi-b..._us/debit_card
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault