do ya think I have enough planes?

Roger Tulk

I spent part of this afternoon testing my planes to see what needed to be fixed or adjusted. Most of them are in good nick, but I've a little sharpening and sole flattening to do on a couple.

collection0312b.jpg

The planes at the top of the photo are, from L to R, a 16" jack plane I restored that dates to about 1893, and takes amazingly thin shavings, a 21" Stanley No, 29 that has a 1903 patent date on the blade, and a 28" jointer plane by the Ohio Tool Company that dates from 1880 to 1920.

collection0312c-blockplanes.jpg

These are from L to R, a Millers Falls block plane probably from before 1950, a new Footprint block plane, a cheap Chinese knock off that my Dad bought in the 60s, a Stanley 110 (I think) from the 60s which had its cap iron broken so I made a wedge for it, and a HD micro plane. The last two live in my apron and are used for chamfering edges and cleaning up rough spots on planks.

collection0312d-benchplanes.jpg

These are a 12" bench plane that I made from a 16" jack plane with a badly twisted sole. It dates from before 1893. A Stanely No. 5 that I have owned since it was new, about 1975 but manufactured no later than 1967. A No.5 that dates to about 1949, and a No.5 from about 1919, with a damaged frame that I am going to attempt to use as a scrub plane, and will give away as a decoration if it's not workable. A Stanley No.4 that works well, and a Canadian Tire Spokeshave. The plane on the lower step is also a No.4, made in Canada but no manufacturer's mark. I separated it because it needed sharpening.

I also have another No.5, not Stanley and made in Canada, for which I need a blade.

The two biggest planes need a little flattening on the sole, but are otherwise ready to go. I've used all of them, and sharpened every one of them after I got them. I am still a beginner in the use of planes and scrapers, but learning more and more as I go along.

Hope you enjoyed the look. :)

Nice collection, but nope... definitely not enough, I don't see any molding, rabbet, (insert other specialty here) planes, needs more joiner planes, also needs more scrapers.

Jim I think you might be getting close.

I only have about 50 more I really "need" :rofl: (mostly what Roger is "missing").

Truth is Tom is right; they're like clamps, bandsaws and chainsaws... can't ever have enough.

Well, I am making a 18" fore plane, and a 7" chisel plane. I admit my need for a shoulder or rabbet plane, and I am going to get a stanley low angle block plane. I have about a dozen scrapers, and plan to make a scraper holder later this summer. You can't own just one, I must say.

Hi,

The only thing you are missing is an AIRplane. However, if you trim wood with that kind---You are too low.

Really nice collection. I gather that you use the planes that are in usable condition; that is really nice too.

Enjoy,

JimB

Welcome aboard. I am sure you will enjoy this group of wood nuts.

ENOUGH planes??? I'm not familiar with that terminology. I did not know you could ever have ENOUGH planes. That is not a concept I can relate to. You still have room on your deck so you obviously don't have ENOUGH planes yet. I don't have ENOUGH planes and I'm a turner!

OK, I am well and thoroughly put in my place in the basement of plane collectors. :p However, I picked up another today, which I gloated about a little. The nice old man who sold me this plane offered me a couple of wooden planes, but I told him that would be hazardous to my health. My wife would kill me. :D

Well Roger, this is what we're trying to tell you. If you were a hard core planeaholic, you'd have your wife out looking for more planes with you. I never met a plane I didn't like [well, almost.]

My plan is to get a sufficiently large collection that loml can't tell when there is a new one, that and the general state of my shop... :rofl:

I'm afraid that this theory will break down if I ever find a really good deal on a set of molding planes.... One or two... doable.. 30.. not so much :D

Just kidding really, I don't ask to much when she buys a new fleece for spinning, she doesn't ask to much when I get a new tool.