Anyone Up For a New Homework Exercise? [SketchUp]

Dave Richards

How about a chair made from a 10' 2x6? The seat is 40" long. The backrest, 48" and the wedge-shaped bits are 11-1/2" long. Join the wedge pieces to the seat and back rest with 3/8" dia. dowels. That should give you enough to go on. Don't worry about materials or adding a sketchy style unless you want to play.

Teacher could use another apple, too. Or better, a donut. :D

Garry, I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Bill, you can use any tools you like. All I ask is that you work smart, not hard. ;)

Off to check on my sailboat. It's about 72° here in MN. Crazy weather for the middle of March.

Hi Art, I didn't check it to see. The source for the chair said it used a 10' 2x6 and I took them at their word. You can have 10' 3". Howzzat? :D

Okay... I must be missing something, because this seems rather simple compared to your normal "homework" :huh:

2x6chair-v1a.jpg
2x6chair-v1b.jpg

I don't quite have the angles right on the assembled unit, as the back doesn't touch the "grass".
And I kind of cheated with the dowels. I never go into such detail with plans I make, so the dowel merely sticks out of the angled bits. I did not draw it to stick into them, nor did I bother with the matching holes. It's just the way I would normally work. :dunno:

And the file uploader is not allowing me to attach the *.skp file... :doh:

Good work, Art. Knowing what details to leave out is part of the battle. It does look like you've left out the joinery between the two long pieces which you might want to include. You might also want to adjust the grain direction. ;)

This might not be as difficult as the previous homework but working efficiently is part of it. How long do you spend drawing a project? Do you struggle with getting the parts where you want them? Having the back touch the "grass" is part of that positioning thing. I'll try to put together a video tutorial showing my approach to these things.

Good work, Art. Knowing what details to leave out is part of the battle. It does look like you've left out the joinery between the two long pieces which you might want to include. You might also want to adjust the grain direction. ;)

This might not be as difficult as the previous homework but working efficiently is part of it. How long do you spend drawing a project? Do you struggle with getting the parts where you want them? Having the back touch the "grass" is part of that positioning thing. I'll try to put together a video tutorial showing my approach to these things.

Well I originally was counting on uploading the skp file to give you explode + explore :rolleyes: ability.
I did have that notch in there...

2x6chair-v1c.jpg

As for the grain... this is one area where I think google could really improve sketchup with a tiny change. It would be nice if they would let us rotate these fill patterns inside the program (even just a 90 degree flip, let alone an arbitrary one). I for one find it really irritating that I need to add every grain I want twice, in order to have it all going the right way. I suppose I could get around that by always building all the components in a certain direction and then twisting them to the layout I want after the grain is applied. But I don't work that way. I usually build the object as a white box, and applying the grain is one of the later things that I do. :dunno:

I for one find it really irritating that I need to add every grain I want twice, in order to have it all going the right way.

Ah, but Art, you don't need to do that. Whoever taught you that that is the way to handle materials did you a huge disservice. Take a look at the video here.

I'm sure you know the way I work is to draw everything in place as much as possible.

As to the notch, I didn't see it in your layout so I assumed you'd omitted it altogether.