pantry closet doors and frame fit! hooray.

allen levine

this is the first and easiest part of redoing the kitchen and surrounding area of my sons home.
Not thrilled with the blotchiness, but I learned a bit.
Originally I made the doors to inset, but it just looked bad, so I built a frame and sized it so I can use 5/8th overlay hinges.
before and after pics.

sorry about the pics, its a cellphone camera.

this is a pantry closet that had plywood doors, at the head of the basement stairs, off to the side of the kitchen. Its built into the wall between this room and garage.

used one piece salice overlay hinges, good quality hinge and used liquid nails to secure along with pinnails.
eventually, up the road a bit, Ill build him a cherry basement door to match the cabinets.

he still has to do some wall repair and install moldings.

Attachments

• closet (Medium).jpg
    closet (Medium).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 46
  • closet 2 (Medium).jpg
    closet 2 (Medium).jpg
    27 KB · Views: 49
  • closet 3 (Medium).jpg
    closet 3 (Medium).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
just logged back on, getting ready to go to rubys

we took out the large cabinet today where the microwave will be placed
Im not starting any cabinets until I finish my upstairs the next few months, but Im going to frame out the top so we can install the microwave and he can use it, I wont build doors or apply finish until I start redoing it all. this is gonna be a trip for me.

Those look really nice. I don't know if I would have seen the blotch monster if you hadn't pointed it out.

Have you ever used a wash coat before stain or toners to finish. I have tried both. the lazy part of me just likes to mix a toner and spray it on. It hides a lot of problems but takes away some character. I'm like you, still learning

I dont spray finishes, but have used prestain conditioners with good results.
Ive been using oils(waterlox products) on all my cherry projects and get beautiful results.
I just overlooked the pretreating this time. My son is thrilled, and hes the one paying me(yeah, he did make me coffee)