Just Plain Holly

Ted Calver

Staff member
One of my neighbors is a Master Gardener and was involved in clearing one of the community gardens. Knowing I was a turner he salvaged a whole bunch of fairly large holly for me...more than I can probably process before the blue stain gets it. 10"h x 4"d, buffed and Renaissance waxed. I put several coats of Deft satin on it, but I guess I didn't wait long enough for it to dry or buffed too hard, because I think I buffed it all off. :(. C&C always welcome.

DSC_2769C L.jpg

Last edited:
Nice form and I love the color. "blue stain"???
I have some holly that has been drying on the shelf for several years, no blue stain/spalt.
I stabilized some pen blanks that should make interesting, sorta, faux ivory pens one day.

Nice form and I love the color. "blue stain"???
I have some holly that has been drying on the shelf for several years, no blue stain/spalt.
I stabilized some pen blanks that should make interesting, sorta, faux ivory pens one day.

Frank,
Around here there is a blue stain fungus that attacks the holly almost immediately after it's cut, resulting in a nasty looking blue/gray stain throughout the wood. I've been told that it likes the sugars in the sap. Unless I rough it out right away and DNA it, that stain gets in there right away. It's not so bad in the winter.