Decided to do a little welding today

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Have had the material around for about 4 years now for my welding table, decided it was time to tack it up.

Done!
IMAG0756.jpg

Have a couple of old drums off my old tahoe and a basket ball goal post that rotted off at the ground, put them to use also.
IMAG0757.jpg IMAG0759.jpg

Added a little shelf for a cooling can to set on with water in it.
IMAG0761.jpg

A little gloat, thanks to Mr. Delaney...got a matched set of welding clamps
IMAG0760.jpg

Darren I would add a lip or some other way to hold the cooling can on the shelf. If not the vibration from the grinder might just wet your shoes for ya:thumb::thumb::thumb::rofl:

Looks good Darren. I tried to weld once. I could stick 2 pieces of metal together better with a magnet, then weld it
023.gif
This looks pretty sloppy. I had cleaned up the joints for welding, but didn't think to clean up the sides that had contact with the table, which was where I had originally grounded for welding, finally moved the ground clamp on to the work piece. :doh:

Darren I would add a lip or some other way to hold the cooling can on the shelf. If not the vibration from the grinder might just wet your shoes for ya:thumb::thumb::thumb::rofl:

Ha! That's good advice...will do...Thanks!

Last edited:
This looks pretty sloppy. I had cleaned up the joints for welding, but didn't think to clean up the sides that had contact with the table, which was where I had originally grounded for welding, finally moved the ground clamp on to the work piece. :doh:

Maybe so, but they're a paragon of excellence compared to the welds you'd see at my house :eek: At least I have an angle grinder after the fact :rofl:

Seriously looks pretty good, its straight and sturdy looking, can't ask for much more than that at the end of it.

Thanks guys!

Darren,
Pick up a couple of these next time your at HF cheap and very handy.

Got a couple of those, they are in the bottom left of the first photo. They really hold well and come in handy, used one to put that hold that little shelf in place until I got it tacked up. I want to say I've got a few more around, but haven't emptied that box yet apparently.:huh:

Cool Darren. This is the benefit of the recycle phase of car repairs.
This is something i really desperately want to get into. Welding. Also want a "mechanics shop" grinder set up like you have. Nearly had one with a cheap grinder recently but its was junk so still waiting.

Bessy sure did themselves a great deal of good dishing out all those freeeebies.:) Hey the welding dont have to be for pros on the pipeline, its for your standards its your shop. Tack table is a good idea. So is Dons magnet clamp.

As to car part reuse last time around i kept some parts to use for stand support just like you. Except i kept a couple of heavy front discs. Purchased a couple of offcut pipes that telescope into each other with a perfect fit and a couple of small off cut squares of steel. Am waiting for my buddy and weather to be able to have him weld it up for me. I will use the setup for outfeed rollers. The ones i have seen in the store are well rickety in my view and for less than the price of one i get two sturdy units and recycle some steel. Rollers only cost me $4 for nice steel ones on bearings.

Am waiting for my buddy and weather to be able to have him weld it up for me. I will use the setup for outfeed rollers. The ones i have seen in the store are well rickety in my view and for less than the price of one i get two sturdy units and recycle some steel. Rollers only cost me $4 for nice steel ones on bearings.

You should see if he'll show you how to do it, best to learn from someone that can show you what to look for. I've got a little Hobart 135, which is a 110V welder, and so simple a monkey can weld with it.

A friend of mine showed me how to weld, he had all the certifications and did it professionally. He now works for the gas company. When they get a broken main, he has to go weld the thing up live. He and another guy suit up with a fire suit, the other guy holds a fire extinguisher while he throws a match in the hole and burns off the settled gas.:eek: The pressure on the gas line keeps the fire from getting to the line so he jumps in the hole next to the flame spewing out of the break and starts welding up the break. They also have relief valves or can install one at a tap close by and burn off the gas ahead of the weld.

Like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRnpqwwWzfo

Well Darren i have such a fear of gas (the propane and natural type) that i would not undertake that job for all the money in the world. I guess there is a scientific explanation for how come he dont blow up but to show my true ignorance i dont even care if i understood it and it made sense, i still would never cross the line.

Its the same as guys taking the heads off bullets and emptying them etc. In my view some things are best left well alone.

I see from the video to top it all the guy seems to be stick welding.

The other profession that i think is along these lines is working on High Voltage powerlines while they live and doing it from a helicopter. :crazy: But thats just me. ;)

Darren that looks great, a welder sure is a cool addition to your collection of tools! Next up you will be wanting an endmill and a metalworking lathe, then you can make just about ANYTHING :D

In addition to the lip or such to hold your water can on the stand, put a hook on it somewhere to hang your star wheel dressing tool from :thumb:

h5944.jpg