Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Target Coatings EM6000 Lacquer Trail

Great. Thanks guys for the help and info. I guess I will pick it up. Can't go to wrong for $20 new in the box never used.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie.................what kind of a HVLP is it ? have any details ? .............just interested.................for $20 never used you can't go wrong
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mosley View Post
    ..........for $20 never used you can't go wrong
    Well... I am not sure. I started with the Porter Cable PSH1 HVLP conversion gun back when they were $100. There are lots of copies (it may also be a copy of something else). The $70 copies I watched people using seemed to be identical to my $100 unit. The $50 copies also looked good. When there was a sale for a copy at $25 I said "for $25 never used you can't go wrong." That $25 gun doesn't atomize the finish anywhere near as well as the $100 gun. I cannot use it for finish spraying. Rather than throwing it out, I now use it exclusively for shellac, since that is so hard to clean out well, and new shellac dissolves any old residue, and since I use shellac as a sealer, I don't need perfect atomization. BUT the bottom line, it was NOT a bargain at $25
    Last edited by Charlie Plesums; 03-26-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Charlie and Dan it is a new never used G5500 Mini Touch-Up HVLP Spray Gun with 1.2mm Fluid Tip and Regulator with a 150 cc cup. It sprays from 4.3" to 5.8". It has a Stainless Steel needle, tip and cap. It was made for TCP Global from what I can see. He said he paid $60 for it but looks like they have it for $37. I can also get a DeVILBISS StartingLine HVLP SPRAY PAINT GUN 1.3mm with 20 oz cup for Auto Basecoat Clearcoat Topcoat which I can get it for $35. I also see TCP Global has them for $80. So will do some more research and see what comes up. I don't want to spend a ton of money for spraying a few turnings. I haven't tried the Paasche Talon with the .66mm needle and fan cap yet. Maybe that will do the job.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 03-26-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Had time the past couple days and completed a few vessels. A couple were done with NC Lacquer and the others with EM6000
    My Camera is not the newest so the pics sometimes are of less quality then I would like but here is what I have to show about the Lacquer

Picture 1 - 16" tall Red Vessel - 8 coats of EM6000 - dry 1 week - 0000 steel with wax finish

Picture 2 - 16" tall - 3 coats of DO mixture - dry 2 weeks - thin coat of NC Lacquer and light scuff with 0000 - then EEE buff - Briwax applied by hand and buffed
    by hand

Picture 3 - 20" tall - 8 coats of NC Lacquer - dry 2 weeks - sanded to 1500 - 2 coats of paste wax and buffed by hand

Picture 4 - 16" tall - 5 coats of EM6000 - sanded to 1500 - 2 coats of paste wax and buffed by hand

Picture 5 - 2' 6" tall vessel - 10 coats of NC lacquer - sanded to 1500 - rubbing compound 3M and then swirl mark remover 3M

I spoke with Charlie the other day about the EM6000 and a few new ideas im going to try - one of which is the dry sanding of the finish as he suggested in a previous thread. I am out of NC Lacquer now anyway and im after a few projects im getting used to the waterbourne and im liking it alot or at least the EM6000.
    The Red Vessel in the picture I am still working on the final finish and will post when I can - It has dried now for over a week and I sprinkled a few drops of water on it last night and started sanding with 400 and it looked like it was peeling the finish so I stopped. Maybe it was not totally cured - im not sure but on next day off ill try just dry sanding it and rubbing it out like Charlie mentioned and see how it goes on that one......Ill post the pictures as soon as I complete it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vase-2.jpg   Vase-1.jpg   Vase-3-1.jpg   Vase-5.jpg   Vase-6.jpg  

First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................