Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for you auto geeks

Question for you auto geeks

I blew the radiator on my Chevy S-10. This is a 2001 truck 2.2 liter engine with 188,000 miles on it.

So I put a new one in today and I don't think the coolant system is right. I did replace the thermostat. It is blowing lots of coolant out of the reservoir overflow tube. Another thing is that normally I leave the radiator cap off for a few minuets and top off the fluid. When I started the truck up it blew radiator fluid like a geyser. So I figured there must be a major air bubble and put it back on. That's when it started blowing the fluid out of the overflow tube.

I've replaced radiators before and have never seen anything like this.

Any Ideas?
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Sounds like you could have a bad head gasket and getting compression into the cooling system. Is it running fine? Is it doing this as soon as you start or after warm up?

Hope I'm wrong with this, but it could be leaking combustion gasses into the cooling system resulting in high pressure in the cooling system blowing coolant out through the path of least resistance.

I just saw Garry beat me to it.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

It does seem to run ok. I wouldn't be surprised if the head gasket was blown though. That kind of makes sense in a sickening kind of way.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Paul check the exhaust for water vapor when it's running if the head gaskets is blown the exhaust will be wet.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I'll check that out in the morning. I will also do a compression check on the engine to see where that's at. Sure will suck if the engine is shot. Just bought new tires and radiator.

I too would agree with the head gasket problem, does not take much of a leak to do that.

Why not replace the head gaskets, what is this truck a straight 4 or a V-6? If the head is not warped, a head gasket job is not a big deal, price of the gasket and some elbow grease and you should be good to go!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Did a quick search, seems some of the S-10s are know for this problem.....

>> Here << lots of info there
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Blown head gasket or cracked head and or broken head bolts
    Well worth fixing if the body is still in good shape. I put 145,000 miles on mine before I got around to changing the broken head bolts....
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Paul, I think you've got some good advice so far. Did the truck overheat when the radiator blew? Also, did you replace the thermostat? If it's not running rough and no antifreeze in the exhaust or on the plugs, then it may just be getting hot and boiling out if the thermostat is stuck. can pull the stat and test it to know for sure.

http://chevytalk.com is a good chevy site too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault