McMillan jointer

Bruce Thomas

Hi, I'm Bruce (new to this site) been a woodworker for the best part of 20 years, will post some photos of my workshop and some of my work - when i figure out how - lol !
I've just bought a Mcmillan jointer of e-bay, it was made in Taiwan in 1985 - model MJ-150 but i don't have a manual for it, does anybody have any information that could help me ......please!

...I've just bought a Mcmillan jointer of e-bay, it was made in Taiwan in 1985 - model MJ-150 but i don't have a manual for it, does anybody have any information that could help me ......please!

Bruce,
Could you post a picture of the jointer?

I suspect it might be a TaiChi copy of the old Delta model that had the end-mounted fence, but need pictures to confirm that. If it is a copy of an old U.S. made machine, then a copy of the original machine's manual might help you.

OTOH, all jointers are fairly simple machines - with only a few moving parts - and once you get your hands on them they're generally fairly easy to figure out. The biggest problem with the older TaiChi stuff is getting parts, but sometimes you can find a compatible older Grizzley or Jet machine and order parts from them.

Vaughn should know all about this one! :D

I figured somebody would end up being a wise guy. :p

Although I've never hear of or seen a McMillan jointer, I'll echo Jim's comments. Chances are it's very similar to other imported jointers from the same time period, and with jointers being simple machines, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to run it.

Thanks for all the replies guys, will post some photos of it in the next couple of days, as soon as i get a chance Been having a bit of a play with it over the last day or two and think I've got it pretty much sorted, just got to get the blades sharped and should be good to go

IMGP0395.jpgIMGP0400.jpgIMGP0396.jpgIMGP0397.jpgIMGP0399.jpg

Hi, finally got around to taking some photos of my "Mcmillan" jointer, still needs abit of a clean up, including cleaning off the patch of pink paint ( covered by grey tape) with the word "domino" written on it - not really sure what that's about!?!. Been reading a few posts from the other members and i realize that this is a great web-site and i only wish i had found it sooner!!:thumb: Now that I've worked out how to attach photos ( not real computer savvy... ) will post some photos in the next couple of days of a jewelry box that i made out of red gum burl

You probably have figured out by now, the knob on the left is to align the outfeed table with the cutters (actually about the thickness of a sheet of paper below the max height of the cutters), and the knob on the right is to control the depth of cut. And when your cutters come back from sharpening, be sure they are all identical height, all the way across the table.

Be careful as you work to remove the rust. Don't just attack it with sandpaper - the goal is to have perfectly smooth AND FLAT tables. Search the forum for removing rust (I haven't had to do it, but I have seen lots of discussions on it). Then choose your religion about keeping the rust off - I am a believer in multiple coats of furniture wax, but there are other approaches that have believers also.

Your jointer appears to be a clone of the old style (1950s) Delta. The 6-1/8" blades being sold by Woodworkers Supply, and many others, should fit it.

Charlie already gave you adjustment advice.

As for the rust, my preference for surface rust is a green Scotchbrite® pad, lubricated generously with WD-40, or kerosene. Rub vigorously, and the surface rust will come right off. Messy, though...:rolleyes:

I agree with Charlie about the wax, after cleaning, as a further rust preventative, but there are also a number of spray on alternatives. None work much, if any, better than the wax, though.

Many thanks guys, your information is much appreciated, should have the blades back this weekend, so hopefully will get the time to put it back together, clean up the table and it should be good to go!
I've just built a new workshop (well ... 18 months ago!) and am in the process of upgrading my equipment, but this is the first jointer i have owned, if i needed to use one before i would go and see my uncle ( who has a much better equiped workshop than mine - although not for long i hope !!) and he would run the boards though for me - next on my list is a industrial thicknesser, a better saw bench and better dust control - when time and more importantly money permit!!