Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Library Project

Library Project

I have been asked to give an estimate for a library unit and I thought I'd see what you guy think of this sketch. They are requesting the unit be cherry. I need to follow up with to verify if they want real cherry or a cherry stain. The ceiling is 9' high and the wall is 12' wide. This is my first attempt with a non-painted built in, so any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated!

You asked! The center panel with the Arch is not right. The proportions are off. The height of the arch in the center to the top - then the skinny points it comes to the on the edges just don't balance out to me.

First thought is the edges need to be wider. Then you would need some sort of wider stile. Maybe an ornamental post? Not sure what but the balance and symmetry just isn't there on that.

YMMV for course.

Jeff
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I was wondering about the arch too. I may try and raise the arch a bit and add capitals to the columns. Each of the columns are fluted. Thanks, when I have some time this evening I'll try some rework.

Ed, have you thought of making the arch higher than the bays next to it in addition to wider columns or other methods to draw the eye to the center? You wouldn't even have to loose storage space in doing so, just put it behind doors that look like a contiuous frieze.

You could also move the whole center feature with the arch and cabinet below out an inch or so.

John

Just looked and I think I see what is wrong. (to me anyway). The radius needs to be larger so that that it is flatter. The ends would be higher up and I think that will go a long ways toward making it balance out.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Made a couple changes tonight. Jeff, I took your suggestion and raised the arch and used a larger radius. I also added the capitals on the columns. I think it is an improvement. I also like the idea of making the center unit a little proud of the other units and may explore that tomorrow. I also want to send a copy to my clients and see what their thoughts are.

Ed, changing the arc from 180 to 120 is definitely an improvement. One more thing to consider may be shortening the distance from the top of the arc to the horizontal members.

Looking better every day!

Just my opinion, but...

Do you really need the arch? Seems out of place since there are no other arch elements. The five segments are the same width but one has an arch - seems kinda 'just tossed in'. Perhaps making the middle section wider and stand forward of the others would help.

ed, try pulling all of your columns forward an inch or so, along with moving the center box forward....this will break up the crown/chair-rail/base profiles so as to accent them. it`ll also allow you to fudge the install on a wall-ceiling-floor that are not perfectly at 90 degrees to oneanother....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Hi guys. I made a couple changes. Tod, thanks for the suggestions. I did pull the center unit out a bit.

Dad also suggested putting drawers in the center unit instead of doors.

I am going to present these as options to the folks I quoting this project for and see what their take is.

Note: there are a couple errors in my sketchup renderings, such as the columns not going all the way up, that I need to correct.
    Last edited by Ed Nelson; 03-15-2007 at 12:54 AM.