Library Project

Ed Nelson

I have been asked to give an estimate for a library unit and I thought I'd see what you guy think of this sketch. They are requesting the unit be cherry. I need to follow up with to verify if they want real cherry or a cherry stain. The ceiling is 9' high and the wall is 12' wide. This is my first attempt with a non-painted built in, so any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated!

Library.jpg

You asked! :) The center panel with the Arch is not right. The proportions are off. The height of the arch in the center to the top - then the skinny points it comes to the on the edges just don't balance out to me.

First thought is the edges need to be wider. Then you would need some sort of wider stile. Maybe an ornamental post? Not sure what but the balance and symmetry just isn't there on that.

YMMV for course.

Jeff

I was wondering about the arch too. I may try and raise the arch a bit and add capitals to the columns. Each of the columns are fluted. Thanks, when I have some time this evening I'll try some rework.

Ed, have you thought of making the arch higher than the bays next to it in addition to wider columns or other methods to draw the eye to the center? You wouldn't even have to loose storage space in doing so, just put it behind doors that look like a contiuous frieze.

You could also move the whole center feature with the arch and cabinet below out an inch or so.

John

Just looked and I think I see what is wrong. (to me anyway). The radius needs to be larger so that that it is flatter. The ends would be higher up and I think that will go a long ways toward making it balance out.

Made a couple changes tonight. Jeff, I took your suggestion and raised the arch and used a larger radius. I also added the capitals on the columns. I think it is an improvement. I also like the idea of making the center unit a little proud of the other units and may explore that tomorrow. I also want to send a copy to my clients and see what their thoughts are.

Library2.jpg

Ed, changing the arc from 180 to 120° is definitely an improvement. One more thing to consider may be shortening the distance from the top of the arc to the horizontal members.

Looking better every day!

Just my opinion, but...

Do you really need the arch? Seems out of place since there are no other arch elements. The five segments are the same width but one has an arch - seems kinda 'just tossed in'. Perhaps making the middle section wider and stand forward of the others would help.

ed, try pulling all of your columns forward an inch or so, along with moving the center box forward....this will break up the crown/chair-rail/base profiles so as to accent them. it`ll also allow you to fudge the install on a wall-ceiling-floor that are not perfectly at 90 degrees to oneanother....tod

Hi guys. I made a couple changes. Tod, thanks for the suggestions. I did pull the center unit out a bit.

Library3.jpg

Dad also suggested putting drawers in the center unit instead of doors.

Library4.jpg

I am going to present these as options to the folks I quoting this project for and see what their take is.

Note: there are a couple errors in my sketchup renderings, such as the columns not going all the way up, that I need to correct.

Last edited:
]i just finished a very large library.
it was done in all maple and similar to yours(no arch though)
my worst problem was that the client wanted to NOT see any fasteners, so i had to reverse engineer the whole thing. probably put 1000 pocket screws in it. have you thought of building it one section at a time then assembling it by attaching the uprights from the back. i have to agree that the arch is a little out of place, unless they all have them. then that may be over the top. and i like the addition of the drawer unit in the middle. i prefer drawers but hey i ain't paying the bill. good luck with the bid.

Phillip Workman

W.A.L.S.T.I.B.

Ed,

I still find the arch a bit off. I think it would look better if the arch was wider.

Right now you've got 5 units of equal width. What if you made the center unit a bit wider than the others? You've got 12' of width, that is 28.8" per unit. If you make the center unit 32" wide, the other four would still be each 28" wide

Or, divide the space into thirds, and each section into two bookcases. Make the center section still pulled out a couple inches, with the arch. Then you have three 48" wide sections, each with two 24" wide bookcases.

best,
...art

ED, the arch looks MUCHO better.

And I agree with Art. I think it would look better if the center was wider. Since it is where the eye is drawn, make it stand out more and be more prominent. And I think a wider width will soften that arch even more.

Jeff

I like the newer designs, I was reading and was about to spout out some words of wisdom when I saw your later post and pictures. There needs to be a reason for the center to have the arch and not the others, The bump-out provides the reason, As was suggested, a difference in width will also add to the cabinetry appearance. Doors or Drawers will look fine.

Also provide recessed lighting and glass shelves in the center area to accent some art forms or decor accessories. (I am using glass on some shelves I am in the middle of constructing...) To stay with the design and avoid thick tempered glass, I am using a wood frame with a rabbet cut to accept and support the glass. this will allow the lighting to follow through the entire cabinet and not be shadowed by the top shelf.

Those were my thoughts as I gazed upon your drawings.

Bill, thanks for your suggestions. I really like the idea of glass in the center unit.

I have made a few refinements to the unit after presenting the others to the clients. I am a little concerned on the plinths for the columns. They seem heavy. Please let me know what you think!

library1.jpg

capital.jpg

plinth.jpg

The columns are 3 1/2" wide. That will have a 1" overhang on both sides. I could probably narrow them to 3", but I don't think I'd want to go much smaller than that. The center is 32" wide and the other units are 28".