Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen table

Bob, I plan on using 2 2x10's and 2 2x12's glued together with pocket screws.
    Last edited by Jake Vrbka; 04-04-2012 at 07:33 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Vrbka View Post
    Bob, I plan on using 2 2x10's and 2 2x10's glued together with pocket screws.
    Interesting, how are you planning on attaching the extensions. You will be dealing with issues with the end grain if you try to attach them to the ends.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, the extensions are gonna be made out of 2 2x8's, with 2 2x2's underneath that will slide into holes I'm going to cut in the end apron.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Good solution...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Thanks Don! Wish I could say I thought of it myself, but that's how the plans were :-)

I've been a little busy lately, but I finally have the table ready to finish! I've learned a lot so far and have definitely figured out a few things I would do different if I were to make another one. So far it's been a ton of fun though!!
    Last edited by Jake Vrbka; 04-05-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Vrbka View Post
    I've learned a lot so far and have definitely figured out a few things I would do different if I were to make another one.
    When I stop feeling that way after a build is when I'll start getting bored ;-)
    Be excellent to each other. - Rufus

"You can get so exact that you immobilize yourself with accuracy" - James Krenov

I'll echo what Glenn said. I'm nowhere near his skill level but I learn something new and try something new on every build I make. It keeps it fun.

Looking forward to the pictures
    So mote it be,

That's part of what I love about woodworking, figuring out different or better ways to make things. Whether it is something I made or something I see, and think "I could do that, but a little different"!

Here's a couple of pics.

This one shows the base with the notches cut out for the extensions to slide into.

One of the tabletop on the base before finishing

One more of the tabletop after the first coat of stain