Kitchen table

Jake Vrbka

Hey everyone,
I'm still fairly new to woodworking. I've done some basic stuff over the years, but I still don't know a whole lot about woodworking, and different woods to use and such. The only big thing I've made before was a bunkbed for my kids a couple years ago, but it was a fairly basic and simple design. I'm hoping to learn a lot more!
My wife and I have wanted a new kitchen table for awhile now. The one we have was a used one we got from some friends a few years ago. We do foster care and usually have quite a few people eating and don't usually have enough room at the table for everyone. We can't really afford a nice big new table so I decided to build one.
She wants a big rectangular table with a bench. I looked around online and found one to build.
I just started on it last weekend, but so far it is going well. I bought a kreg jig and I am loving it so far! I'll try to remember to take more pictures as I go.
Here's what I got so far

uploadfromtaptalk1332516664043.jpg

Looking nice Jake, should fit quite a few folks around that table. That Kreg is a nice tool to have. How are you planning to do the finish?

BTW...Wecome. :wave:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I don't know for sure how I'm going to finish it. The place where I found the plans suggested pre stain wood conditioner, 2-3 coats of stain, sanding sealer, General Arm R Seal, and then 2 coats of briwax.
Any other suggestions?

Welcome Jake. I too like a large long table. To me nothing beats having a good sit down at a long table with friends. Looking forward to seeing more as you get along.
Whats the length of this tables top gonna be.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Don, the extensions are gonna be made out of 2 2x8's, with 2 2x2's underneath that will slide into holes I'm going to cut in the end apron.

I've been a little busy lately, but I finally have the table ready to finish! I've learned a lot so far and have definitely figured out a few things I would do different if I were to make another one. So far it's been a ton of fun though!!

Last edited:
That's part of what I love about woodworking, figuring out different or better ways to make things. Whether it is something I made or something I see, and think "I could do that, but a little different"!

Here's a couple of pics.

This one shows the base with the notches cut out for the extensions to slide into.
3260df3d-1d11-3fa4.jpg

One of the tabletop on the base before finishing
3260df3d-1d64-0f97.jpg

One more of the tabletop after the first coat of stain
3260df3d-1dac-5d8a.jpg