Thread: Kitchen table finish help

Kitchen table finish help

So I'm in the process of building a kitchen table. I'm using pine, and am wondering about how to finish it. I was thinking of using a pre stain wood conditioner, then 2-3 coats of stain, then a sanding sealer, after that I'm not so sure. I read about using 4-5 coats of General Arm R Seal, but I was looking at their website and the place they have listed that sells it is over 60 miles away. Any other ideas? I'm planning on using a couple light coats of briwax on top of everything.
    I've never really done much finishing other than just staining, so any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Jake, I suspect we'll see some advice from some of the resident pros, but my suggestion would be to consider using dyes instead of stain. For me, dyes are more controllable than stains.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've never used dyes before. Actually, I don't even really know anything about using dyes on wood. I'll have to Google it!

My dye of choice is Transtint liquid dye. I've used it a fair amount on lathe-turned pieces, but a lot of guys use it on flatwork like furniture. I think if you dig around here in the Finishing sub-forum you'll see several threads where guys are using it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the idea Vaughn! I haven't had time to Google it yet. This may be a dumb question, but what's the difference between stain and dye?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Jake I have switched to using nothing but dyes as they are very easy to get the exact shade I want plus the actually change the color of the wood without covering any of the grain. Here is an article for you. Link
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Thanks for the link Don! Now for another dumb question, do they sell wood dyes at the borgs, or specialty stores?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Vrbka View Post
    ...do they sell wood dyes at the borgs, or specialty stores?
    Woodcragt and Rocklers both carry dyes - but at premium prices. Joe Woodworker's site Probably has the best prices for dyes right now, but for the best info regarding dyes, I'd go to Homestead Finishing, and talk to Jeff Jewitt, the originator of Transtint. There's also a pretty good FAQ section on Homestead's site.
    Jim D.
    Adapt...Improvise...Overcome!

It seems to me that the whole premise of "Political Correctness," however well-intentioned it may be, runs the danger of uniform mediocrity becoming the norm.