Kitchen table finish help

Jake Vrbka

So I'm in the process of building a kitchen table. I'm using pine, and am wondering about how to finish it. I was thinking of using a pre stain wood conditioner, then 2-3 coats of stain, then a sanding sealer, after that I'm not so sure. I read about using 4-5 coats of General Arm R Seal, but I was looking at their website and the place they have listed that sells it is over 60 miles away. Any other ideas? I'm planning on using a couple light coats of briwax on top of everything.
I've never really done much finishing other than just staining, so any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Jake, I suspect we'll see some advice from some of the resident pros, but my suggestion would be to consider using dyes instead of stain. For me, dyes are more controllable than stains.

My dye of choice is Transtint liquid dye. I've used it a fair amount on lathe-turned pieces, but a lot of guys use it on flatwork like furniture. I think if you dig around here in the Finishing sub-forum you'll see several threads where guys are using it.

Thanks for the idea Vaughn! I haven't had time to Google it yet. This may be a dumb question, but what's the difference between stain and dye?

...do they sell wood dyes at the borgs, or specialty stores?

Woodcragt and Rocklers both carry dyes - but at premium prices. Joe Woodworker's site Probably has the best prices for dyes right now, but for the best info regarding dyes, I'd go to Homestead Finishing, and talk to Jeff Jewitt, the originator of Transtint. There's also a pretty good FAQ section on Homestead's site.