Small tool haul gloat :)

Rob Keeble

Well as i said in another post i popped down to LV today and picked up this haul.
uploadfromtaptalk1332560190624.jpguploadfromtaptalk1332560226340.jpg
The wood is hard maple turning blocks and @ 1.50 a block i was not able to resist.:)

Will let ya all know how the sign kit goes. We unpacked it in the store and i tell ya for $60 this set is a real good deal. You get more in it than whats listed on the website and the box is confusing.
Hence the store associate helping me unpack it.
I wanted to be sure i had enough letters. Extra packs are only $10.
On my purchasing list i had added two extra. Well i saved. The kit contained two sets of each size as well as the vertical letters. So you end up with 4 A, E, i,s and 2 of everything else in both sizes and then the vertical ones too.
We will see how it performs :)
Sandpaper sponges were a deal @$10 mixed grits.
Over all i had a great afternoon shopping :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Well as i said in another post i popped down to LV today

Sheesh - "Popped down to LV" :eek:, I wish.. my pocket book doesn't :rofl: but I do :D

Nice haul, definitely let us know how the sign kit goes that could be handy.. and the nearest LV store is about 7 hours drive so I'll have to live vicariously through you :thumb:

My LV is about 60km away, just far enough to keep me from going there every week. It's an easy stop if I'm going up to Toronto to see a baseball game or to visit my kids.

The template guides that come with the set appear to be the polycarbonate ones. How are they, compared to brass or steel ones? Any reason to not get the polycarbonate set from LV?

My LV is about 60km away, just far enough to keep me from going there every week.

80 kilometers and a border crossing for me. Maybe when they come out with their new chisels (coming soon), it will be time for another trip. The hassle of the border crossing keeps me from going more, which makes me truly not understand my Canadian neighbors who fill up the parking lot of our crummy Kmart every weekend. All that trouble to go to Kmart??? And when you calculate the price of gas now days, it really does not make sense.

Maybe when they come out with their new chisels (coming soon), it will be time for another trip.

Ah you should hold out for the PM-V11 ones. Why get the O1 chisels when something better will be out in a couple of months later (reasons for procrastinating :D). Rob Lee posted a link to some pics of the new chisels over on SMC in the Neanderthal Haven forum ("Rob Lee ... Where for art thou?" thread) - I'll make you go look there as I don't know how he feels about borrowing the link... drool.. I can't see getting them anytime soon though, still pretty happy with the Narex (had they been available before I bought the narex... well.. yeah maybe).

Ah you should hold out for the PM-V11 ones. Why get the O1 chisels when something better will be out in a couple of months later (reasons for procrastinating :D). Rob Lee posted a link to some pics of the new chisels over on SMC in the Neanderthal Haven forum ("Rob Lee ... Where for art thou?" thread) - I'll make you go look there as I don't know how he feels about borrowing the link... drool.. I can't see getting them anytime soon though, still pretty happy with the Narex (had they been available before I bought the narex... well.. yeah maybe).

I had seen the posting Ryan, but thanks for the thought. I would be more interested in the O1 than the PM-V11 at this point. I am going to take a wait and see approach in the new metals. In many uses, I am more interested in a sharper edge vs. a more lasting edge, unless they are the holy grail of metals with the best of both. If I was looking at chisels for mainly chopping, then that would be a different story.

I had seen the posting Ryan, but thanks for the thought. I would be more interested in the O1 than the PM-V11 at this point. I am going to take a wait and see approach in the new metals. In many uses, I am more interested in a sharper edge vs. a more lasting edge, unless they are the holy grail of metals with the best of both. If I was looking at chisels for mainly chopping, then that would be a different story.

That's sort of what Rob Lee said (holy grail), that it sharpened sharper than A2 and also held an edge longer. Sounds like its still a lot harder to sharpen than O1, more like A2 so if you're an oil stone guy O1 is probably still the better choice (and if you're on any sort of a budget... well... no idea on the prices just but guessing :eek:). Sadly they haven't yet released any of the performance data, but it sounds like there was a HUGE amount of testing done on the new steel so it will be interesting to see what its specs are at least.