Thread: Question for Dave Hawksford

Question for Dave Hawksford

You have shown an excellent eye for color. I need a suggestion or three.

I plan to use Transtint to color some lacquer. I am looking for a cinnamon color. Joe Woodworker has a sale on Transtint with a good shipping price. I can get 4 colors. I planned on the aged Maple and a red brown. What other 2 colors would be good to have on the shelf? I work mainly with BB plywood and poplar. I do have a bunch of cherry and walnut waiting for a project. I like warm colors, leaning more to a red hue than a yellow, but the really aged yellow pleases me also. I don't plan on anymore commissions, but it one comes along, the client pays. This is for me.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Carol, I am not good at colors, but I love Transtint, and Joe Woodworker (Veneer Suppies) is the best price I have found too.

After trying many browns to hide walnut sapwood and match boards, I reluctantly (since it says orange) got some Medium Brown #6004. It has become my most used dye, primarily as a toner in lacquer. Your needs may vary, but if you are just filling out an order, I recommend it highly.

The other Transtint I found interesting is Cordovan #6007. I had a customer who wanted a particular color furniture. I got to her color with a multi-day multi-step process mixing custom dyes, covered with commercial stain. When she ordered an additional piece, I discovered what she wanted was almost exactly Cordovan. Her next project will be hundreds of dollars cheaper. See www.plesums.com/wood/bedroom/vanity.html
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Thanks, Charlie. Just the sort of info I was looking for. And I am just filling out an order. Good to have things available.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Carol I like Hickory, Med Brown Mahogany, golden oak, walnut , and GREEN ! With these I can make just about any wood tone. You can also get some powder tines Blue, Red Mahogany and yellow , I will use the powders in my trans tints if need be for slight adjustments.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com