Question for Dave Hawksford

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
You have shown an excellent eye for color. I need a suggestion or three.

I plan to use Transtint to color some lacquer. I am looking for a cinnamon color. Joe Woodworker has a sale on Transtint with a good shipping price. I can get 4 colors. I planned on the aged Maple and a red brown. What other 2 colors would be good to have on the shelf? I work mainly with BB plywood and poplar. I do have a bunch of cherry and walnut waiting for a project. I like warm colors, leaning more to a red hue than a yellow, but the really aged yellow pleases me also. I don't plan on anymore commissions, but it one comes along, the client pays. This is for me.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Carol, I am not good at colors, but I love Transtint, and Joe Woodworker (Veneer Suppies) is the best price I have found too.

After trying many browns to hide walnut sapwood and match boards, I reluctantly (since it says orange) got some Medium Brown #6004. It has become my most used dye, primarily as a toner in lacquer. Your needs may vary, but if you are just filling out an order, I recommend it highly.

The other Transtint I found interesting is Cordovan #6007. I had a customer who wanted a particular color furniture. I got to her color with a multi-day multi-step process mixing custom dyes, covered with commercial stain. When she ordered an additional piece, I discovered what she wanted was almost exactly Cordovan. Her next project will be hundreds of dollars cheaper. See www.plesums.com/wood/bedroom/vanity.html

Carol I like Hickory, Med Brown Mahogany, golden oak, walnut , and GREEN ! With these I can make just about any wood tone. You can also get some powder tines Blue, Red Mahogany and yellow , I will use the powders in my trans tints if need be for slight adjustments.