My DIY "JGRO" cnc router has been in storage for about 3 years. When I was running it before, I used a program called KCam on windows 98 to control the machine. Being windows based, it was choppy and would pause the cnc when other tasks kicked off on the pc and had to minimize the screen to get the best performance. I also found I could only cut about 5 inches per minute with it...yes it was slow.
Today I loaded up EMC2, which is a linux based cnc control software. After a lot of tweaking to the settings I finally got it where each axis was moving the right direction and finally got a program to load up for running. For my first test I ran the machine at 11 inches per minute, which is twice as fast as I have ever gotten it to go...yes it's still slow.
The final result. The right side of this piece is a little choppy, I had some play in the rails I've now worked out, and still have some additional adjustments to make.