Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren's CNC - Rebuild

Darren's CNC - Rebuild

My DIY "JGRO" cnc router has been in storage for about 3 years. When I was running it before, I used a program called KCam on windows 98 to control the machine. Being windows based, it was choppy and would pause the cnc when other tasks kicked off on the pc and had to minimize the screen to get the best performance. I also found I could only cut about 5 inches per minute with it...yes it was slow.

Today I loaded up EMC2, which is a linux based cnc control software. After a lot of tweaking to the settings I finally got it where each axis was moving the right direction and finally got a program to load up for running. For my first test I ran the machine at 11 inches per minute, which is twice as fast as I have ever gotten it to go...yes it's still slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdcHbQ6Z9tA

The final result. The right side of this piece is a little choppy, I had some play in the rails I've now worked out, and still have some additional adjustments to make.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0776.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	66039
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 03-17-2015 at 01:52 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

After some adjustments and playing around with the speed. I got it up to about 18 inches per minute, 23 travel speed between passes. I'll bump the travel back down to 18 or so as the steppers start to lose steps as they get warmer. For this file updated the code to turn on/off the spindle while traveling vs. cutting. I've also found I can adjust the spindle speed with emc2 using solid state relay, so will play around with that more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk3EHDfRCKA

The final piece:

Name:	IMAG0777.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	66045

One thing I still need to do is figure out how to get things drawn for EMC2. Going to test out some sketchup plugins later, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them...Thanks.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Dang, Darren. Stop it. I had nearly gotten over the CNC bug bite.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

That is really COOL !!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Aha come on Carol ya got me all worked up when ya started talking about Joe's CNC. Now I spend way to much time on there
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

@ Jay. If you are not already spending too much time on Joe's, then go to CNCZone. I had to go cold turkey to get off of them. When I became interested in another that was basically a CNC kit ready to assemble, plug and play for about the same money, I had to fish or cut bait. The long term picture doesn't have space or time for a CNC. If I were 20 years younger and with a permanent shop, then maybe. I am looking at my seventh decade before the end of this year and there is another move coming up in about 15 months. Likely all the toys will be looking for a new home, and Larry will have to swim to come to visit. Nothing concrete yet, but planning is in the beginning stages.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Awesome. That looks like it could really be a lot of fun.

What limits the speed? The motors?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

This is really cool, Darren!

I'm in the middle of building my own CNC router, inspired by Joe's 2006 design. I modified it pretty severely, though. I don't wanna hijack your thread, but I've got a handful of videos of both the design and my build process up to this point. I'm currently awaiting lead screws to continue building. Once I have the screws, I'll have a feel for how much torque I'll need from my steppers. That's the plan anyway.

I love that you're using EMC - I just setup a VM on my laptop to play with EMC and Axis as well. I've been watching the Mach3 videos the last few days and I'm very tempted to pick it up but there's too much yankee in me to just buy something - I gotta do it the hard way first. What kinda catches did you encounter with EMC?

I've been toying with the DXF and STL export plugins for SketchUp a bit - but not having a clue what I'm doing I don't know if they're good or bad. There are about a half dozen that I've downloaded - the Phatscript one seems to be the most mature (ironically enough). I haven't tried anything in 3D yet. I've also gotten quite tempted by the Vectric forum and their product offerings - talk about spendy!

I'm looking forward to watching your progress on your machine!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Awesome. That looks like it could really be a lot of fun.

What limits the speed? The motors?
    I'm still experimenting, guys with this same machine use 1/2"-13 all thread with a 30 volt power supply and claim 100 inches per minute, but I think in my case it's my power supply. I've got a 24 volt linear supply, but I think my amperage is a little low. Second, I'm using 1/4-20 threaded rod, if I updated to acme rod I could probably add speed without losing torque and reach those speeds.

I also have some binding issues due to my rail alignment I'm working out, the added resistance causes the steppers to lose steps, just think of the torque on your drill moved from the drill selector to a lower setting and you hear that sound of it not moving the bit, same sound.
    Darren

EMC2 allows for python scripts, think plug-ins, that allow you to do complex layouts really easy, such as text for signs (as already shown) or drill holes for vents in cabinets. Here is a test of it, I have some small speakers that I may mount behind something like this and cover the front with fabric.

Name:	IMAG0782.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	66066 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0780.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	66067 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0781.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	66068

Some other variations.

Name:	IMAG0783.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	66069 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0784.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	66070

I have the site bookmarked on the cnc...will post it later.
    Darren