Darren's CNC - Rebuild

Looks like I had CV enabled, so probably have my steppers not tuned correctly. I've got a 4th axis kit coming, when I get it, I'll open up the enclosure and see what my jumper settings actually are.

I tore apart my old monitor tonight and looks like it burnt up a zener diode, which looked to be due to a cold solder joint, so will pick one up tomorrow and see if a new one will fix it. The new pc I was looking at getting from work doesn't have a parallel port, it also doesn't have the optional ExpressCard slot, so couldn't even add one, so I'm thinking I'll skip getting it. I do have a little newer pc sitting on the shelf that needs a new hard drive, so going to just order one for it and use it instead.

First cut, came out very good...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o95UN8z9fhM

2015-03-21 22.42.02.jpg

I'll be reworking my hold down system this week and cutting out a dust shroud. Currently the hold downs are just two boards that pinch the work, but have had work grabbed by the bit and pulled upward in the past.

I'm also planning to build a control panel next to the machine. I also have a Hand wheel/pulse generator (http://www.ebay.com/itm/390944280300), stop switches, and an emergency stop button on order. Looking to add a few convenience buttons on the panel as well.

Thanks guys. Now that I've got it going, I need to focus on getting familiar with the software again, which seems to be the hard part. I had some files I had ran before, but stock size was different from the original it was ran on. Found I needed to add a few more roughing passes to get to my final thickness since my stock was a bit thicker. I spent most of the night on it and still not got it doing what I hoped to do.

My MPG encoder arrived today, so I downloaded the .dxf file for the recess cut out for it. I laid out it and a hole for the eStop switch on a panel for a remote pendant.
2015-04-03 18.24.37.jpg

The first attempt I found the material to be too thick, so I found a scrap piece of cherry mdf core.
2015-04-03 18.23.01.jpg

I left room on the left for addition of some convenience buttons and maybe a display.
2015-04-03 18.47.08.jpg2015-04-03 18.47.20.jpg

Why use a drill and forstner bit when you can lay it out on the computer, save the file, do some test cuts, and run it on the CNC ? :rofl::thumb:

I've been doing a bunch of the tutorials and decided to drop the dime for the VCarve Desktop version tonight, already wanting to update to the Pro version, but need to turn out a few items first to justify the upgrade. Luckily the upgrade price is the difference between the two versions, so should make it less painful. Can already say that the software is making the process of creating CAM files much, much easier and I've only scratched the surface of what it can do.

Good for u Darren. Proves my beliefs on software, good stuff is worth paying for.
Was watching a few Shopbot videos on youtube and a guy was taking one through the process of making a MI state outline cutting for a breadboard and one could see the obvious ease of using the software.
This gets me back to the whole issue I have with some of the diy cnc.
Does everyone wanting to make use of cnc process want to have to become a cnc technician to be able to cut something.
There is real value in something that just works and does it with a great degree of intuitiveness.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

This gets me back to the whole issue I have with some of the diy cnc.
Does everyone wanting to make use of cnc process want to have to become a cnc technician to be able to cut something.
There is real value in something that just works and does it with a great degree of intuitiveness.

Well, unfortunately I think the learning curves of a home cnc are steep. I'm sure some of the more commercial versions, such as carvewrite and shopbot have refined their software to be more novice friendly, but it's not been my experience that one simply can draw and print with these, at least doing anything more than engraving. I've spent a week playing with the Vcarve software off and on, learning how to import and do things, but feel like I'm barely scratching the surface. That doesn't take into account all the in's/out's of running the machine, knowing what speeds to run at for the given material, setting up the material, and setting up the machine for the job.

I am finding that having the VCarve software, that pre-packaged patterns are available, either free or for purchase, which looks to be a benefit for those that don't want to spend a ton of time doing CAM design.

Shopbot actually has several that load into the Vcarve software: http://www.shopbottools.com/msupport/projects.htm

Here's one that has designs for sale: http://cncminiprojects.com/project-shop/