Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang deer!

Dang deer!

Well, I'm tired of the deer wreaking havoc on my vegetable garden! I planted beans 3 times last year before giving up. They'd get up about 6 - 8 inches and I'd come out and they would look like they had been mowed. We went on vacation for a week last summer and when I got back it looked like they invited every deer in the neighborhood over for a party. That was the final straw! They ate all my cucs, squash, and stepped on my melons!

I used to sale perennials, daylilies and hosta mostly. I have a 12 x 50 greenhouse that hasn't been used for a couple of years so I decided to build a 4' x 40' raised bed and I can use construction fencing to keep the deer out (hopefully)! I also have it set up for irrigation so I don't have to worry about watering anymore. The plastic covering the house is about shot, so I'll be taking it off shortly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0113.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	66040

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    John hate to hear that,as i just got a garden started.Good solution we hope. i have put a fence around mine,but it's only 4 ft high. i hope it at least slowes them down some. mine is about 50x80,so were hoping they leave something for us.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004 [800x600].JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	66055
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004 [1024x768].jpg  

Electric fences boys, electric fences! Just don't pee on them to see if they are working......
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

4 feet? I watched three deer leap over a 6 foot fence without a running start. Just stood next to the fence, looked around, launched and were munching the sweet corn before you could blink. Good luck!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

The deer around here haven't discovered our garden, but we have had big problems with rats, rabbits, and ground squirrels attacking the crops. Last year was an especially bad year (Great for the rodents, as they were around in vast numbers).

This year we are looking at an attempt to fence them out. If we can keep some of them out, that will help...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Sq. Ft. Gardening & you'll need less fencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Lu-7FIj_g
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    4 feet? I watched three deer leap over a 6 foot fence without a running start. Just stood next to the fence, looked around, launched and were munching the sweet corn before you could blink. Good luck!
    yea kinda what i'm thinking also.Do have a way to keep them out though, it's a 30/06

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    yea kinda what i'm thinking also.Do have a way to keep them out though, it's a 30/06
    but that method requires you to never sleep steve
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

My wife just goes outside and scolds them. They stand and watch (and listen?) then wander off. Really. Another solution is called 30-06. Keeps meat in freezer also. And, I agree, a 4 ft. fence is a joke to a deer.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

They will not jump a double fence placed 4' apart. A friend did that and had good luck with it.

But then again a good load of 00BUCK will get their attention and venison on the plate.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com