Under-deck roof solutions?

David Agnew

Hey all. I've got a roughly 18'x14' PT deck that's elevated about 7'-8'. I've currently got lattice enclosing the bottom and am using the underside as a storage shed for "yard stuff"... mower, wheelbarrow, shovels, etc. However, it's nowhere near waterproof so I'm going to add a DIY roofing system using corrugated panels.

I can get 26"x12' panels in three materials:
Galvanized ~ $19 each
PVC ~ $22 each
Polycarbonate ~ $33 each

I did a little layout work and think I need 8 panels. So we're talking about a $125 difference between gally and poly.

• Steel is obviously steel. Galvanized is a-ok w/ PT lumber.
  • PVC gets mixed reviews as far as wind and hail damage. Not an issue for me as it'll go on the underside of the 2x6 deck boards. UV resistance worries me. If it becomes brittle and begins cracking/leaking around the fastener holes, I will not be happy.
  • Polycarb gets glowing reviews all around.

Does anyone have any experience putting in an underdeck system and/or using any of those materials for the process? Any recommendations? Longevity expectations?

Thanks.

Looking at doing this under our back deck, but will be interested in the comments here. Was looking at the corrugated tin hung on tapered runners into a gutter. Don't have any trees around the back, so debris shouldn't be an issue. I was thinking I'll probably have to add a spacers or use a non-wood material for the tapers so no moisture gets trapped there or at least doesn't dry-rot the material used for the runners.

Those systems are definitely the PRO way to do it.

Looking at doing this under our back deck, but will be interested in the comments here. Was looking at the corrugated tin hung on tapered runners into a gutter. Don't have any trees around the back, so debris shouldn't be an issue. I was thinking I'll probably have to add a spacers or use a non-wood material for the tapers so no moisture gets trapped there or at least doesn't dry-rot the material used for the runners.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I'll just use PT for the runners... I don't think rot will be an issue. Is there anything in particular that has you thinking metal over plastic?

This is exactly what I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMvdR1vmAb0