North Safety 7700 Mask Question

Good Morning!

I've been reading (and reading and reading) and found a few recommendations for the North Safety Silicone Half-Mask (7700) on these boards. I wanted to order one today- have been working with the 6/$3 masks and am trying to improve things so I can breathe for just a little longer :D

I couldn't find these masks anywhere local, so was going to order online. Did the measurements (chin to bridge of nose and also lips) and I'm borderline M/L. Anyone have any advice? I'm thinking that I should size "down" to M as the silicone has some give and the slightly smaller mask will 1) provide a better seal; and 2) obstruct my vision just an eensy bit less. But having never worked with a big mask and power tools at the same time, I wanted to see if anyone had any words of wisdom. The URL is http://www.discountsafetygear.com/nosihama.html

Thanks!
Janine

Janine, I found the small to work best for me. Another lady woodworker friend has used one for years and she told me they run large for female faces, so I went with the small and it has been fine. My 2 cents. BTW, welcome. Always good to have some ladies here. The guys like it! :)

Janine,
What are you looking at the mask for. Are you planning on wearing it just for sanding or are you planning on wearing it for longer periods. Some folks use a full mask like the this one while other go with a powered respirator such as the Trend Airshield. Although these are more expensive they may be more confortable and therefor folks end to keep em on longer..

Hi Carol!

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely size down and perhaps even try the M and the S to see which fits better. I could always gift the small to my teenage daughter if it fits her :)

And thanks for the welcome. It might just be fun being such a minority around here... I can learn a bit about how the "other half" lives :D

Janine

Janine, I found the small to work best for me. Another lady woodworker friend has used one for years and she told me they run large for female faces, so I went with the small and it has been fine. My 2 cents. BTW, welcome. Always good to have some ladies here. The guys like it! :)

Hi Don,

Mostly for particulate matter- sanding and cutting. I noticed that there are filters available that seem appropriate to fumes from finishing and the like. For me to actually USE the mask, it'll need to be comfortable and fairly unobtrusive. I'm a teensy bit claustrophobic, and don't do so well with larger masks. (I used to be a practicing nurse, so I have some experience with protective gear - just for different reasons).

Janine

Janine,
What are you looking at the mask for. Are you planning on wearing it just for sanding or are you planning on wearing it for longer periods. Some folks use a full mask like the this one while other go with a powered respirator such as the Trend Airshield. Although these are more expensive they may be more confortable and therefor folks end to keep em on longer..