Whoops!

Whoops! Thought I had posted an intro, and just realized that I didn't.

My name's Janine. I grew up watching my grandfather work magic building things and making things work. Much to the chagrin of the LOHL, as soon as I could hold a tool, he put me to work. He was a jack-of-all-trades, and I received instruction in a bit of everything along the way (carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc). It's come in incredibly handy over the years, and it's really nice to be able to get some (many???) things done on my own.

Fast forward a decade or two (ok, maybe three ;) ) and after a few moves, I'm in a house with a basement "shop" that I can call my own. It's not much, but I'll add a bit here and there as I go along. I've got a few of my grandfather's old tools to remember him by. (It's interesting just how close he feels when I reach for a tool that came from his shop) Mostly I've just been puttering and trying to remember what he taught me and what I've managed to learn online, on TV, and somewhere-along-the-way. I love the smell of sawdust and the satisfaction that comes with creating something useful (and sometimes even kind-of pretty) while making it!

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi" and give a bit of an intro. Have a great day!

Janine

welcome janine, be careful here there are some that try to hook you up on a spinny device called a lathe and its fatal,, so be warned and if you get confronted by one of them be sure to call me or others for help:)

Welcome to the Family, Janine! :wave:

I know what you mean about tools with a heritage. I have a few that my father used and it's nice to have that memory. Everyone here will help you as much as possible - even the Old Walrus (he's really a teddybear)!

Hmmmm... I sense some conflict here... is this like deciding if you'll join the Empire (Dark Side) or become a Jedi? Obviously, I'm far too much of a geek for my own good... :p

Funny thing about those spinny devices- when I was discussing the new basement shop with my MIL (who I honestly do really like a lot!), the only thing she was worried about was if I'd want to get a lathe. Apparently her father lost a small piece of some body part when she was a child, and it's the only tool she's scared of. Kind of makes it tempting to try 'em out though. And, you know, live life on the wild side. :rofl:

Hi Janine.

Do not listen to the old walrus. Lathe is a sweet machine that will provide you loads of fun.

Larry Merlau: "welcome janine, be careful here there are some that try to hook you up on a spinny device called a lathe and its fatal,, so be warned and if you get confronted by one of them be sure to call me or others for help"