joans first pen

Thanks Grizzz

Well this is what got me started with wanting to learn and do more turning. I couldn't seem to get my computer to cooperate in posting the pic so my buddy grizzz helped me out with it. Thanks :thumb: I had a really good time making the pen and want to try all kinds of different materials for pens and try tons of other turning projects. :D

Thanks Vaughn. Its cocobolo wood. At Rockler they have so many different types of woods and materials for pen making. Even corn husks and all kinds of different seeds.

Stick with it Joan. For your pictures, if you have editing software, try getting rid of background that isn't part of the subject, it will enhance the pen. Instead of buying pen blanks you need to develop the fine art of scrounging. I buy a few but most of mine come from wood I have been given, picked up or traded for. PM me your mailing address please.

Thanks for the encouragement. It's fun going thru the learning process. Frank I PM'd you, I hope it went thru correctly. Let me know. Now I'm off looking for a camera of my own.

Joan

Great job Joan! :thumb:
You need to make you a nice looking display box and hang that first one on your wall in an honored place. :)

DT

Thanks for the encouragement. It's fun going thru the learning process. Frank I PM'd you, I hope it went thru correctly. Let me know. Now I'm off looking for a camera of my own.

Joan

Yes, Joan, I got the pm.
For those interested in pen turning, I recommend a forum called The Pen Shop.
http://www.thepenshop.net/
It may be the smallest of the three or four pen forums. But it is a lot like our FW here. Friendly folks who don't get bent out of shape easily and are willing to share and help.
I'll look for you there. Tell Johnny a/k/a RTJW, I sent ye.
Frank