Working on my dust collection piping

Tom Baugues

So I just started running the piping for my dust collection system. Dispite all the advise here and elsewhere I have decided to run 4" pvc pipe and not the 6 inch as many of you told me to do. I have some 6 inch pipe and it just seems way too big for my needs in my small shop. The 6 inch pipe that I got from a guy on Cragslist is all the heavy thick walled pipe and besides being so big it is also very heavy.You can all say "I told you so" later :eek: :huh: but for now I have gotten some 4" sewer pipe. It is thin walled and much lighter. Anyway, I cut through my wall and ran pipe to two walls of my shop. The first run goes to my sanding bench and my drill press. I bought this large hood thinking I would use it somehow to collect shaving from my lathe but I'm wondering about using it as shown in this photo to collect the flying sawdust.
100_0722 (Small).jpg
At the end of this run I want to attach this vacuum hose somehow so that I can clean up the drill press shavings. Any ideas how I might attach this hose to my pipe?
100_0725 (Small).JPG
The next photo shows the pipe coming through the wall where I'll conect a flexible hose to my bandsaw. I'm also thinking about continuing this down to the floor and adding a floor sweep pickup area????
100_0723 (Small).JPG
The last photo shows the piping behind the shop wall that will connect to the dust collector itself. I'm guessing I will run a flex hose from the upper pipe down to the motor inlet.
100_0724 (Small).JPG

If anyone sees something that I need to change (beside using 6" pipe) please speak up. The "T's" are not true "T's". They are called "sanitary T's" and the cross section has a gentle curve to it which I hope will be more effective that a standard T (maybe not).
The other thing I didnt know until I had all this up is that this 4" pipe is not the same diamiter as other 4" pipe as the outside diameter is 3 7/8. My blast gates are WAY too loose to be used with this so I'm guessing I will have to build my own gates now.

At the end of this run I want to attach this vacuum hose somehow so that I can clean up the drill press shavings. Any ideas how I might attach this hose to my pipe?

Tom :

I'll offer you a suggestion on the vac hose connection. Cut a donut out of plywood where the outer diameter fits snugly in the white PVC. Cut an inner circle so that the vac hose fit's tightly into. You can caulk the donut to the pvc to keep it in place.

If you can get a snug fit for the vac hose you can pull it out and have a "plug" for the donut when not using the drill press.

Cheers

Jim Mattheiss