Thread: My shop

My shop

My family (Wife, son, and grandchildren) and I built my shop two years ago so I would have a place to hang when I retired.

I love building Arts and Crafts style furniture taking white oak from rough lumber to finished furniture with only hand tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-4195081593.jpg   image-3983980663.jpg   image-3383548531.jpg   image-2299088534.jpg  

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Nice hang out Dennis Luv the large window, natural light is something I could use more of! What size foot-print does the shop have?

I like it. Looks like a great place to just sit and chill, if nothing else.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Great looking shop Dennis. Looks like the only power tool is you there, nice collection of hand tools.
    Darren

“A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop.” Robert Hughes (1938-2012), Australian art critic

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood
    I like it. Looks like a great place to just sit and chill, if nothing else.
    Not only a great place to chill (sitting in the 1890's platform rocker drinking coffee, watching the fire); when all of the kids and grandkids are home it converts to a bedroom.

That is a neat shop. I think it is the first shop I have seen that I would describe as "warm and fuzzy." I like it.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Thanks folks. When planning the shop I read that in the 15th and 16th C joiners worked at a bench in their living space. I decided that there was no reason the shop can't look like a room in the house. From the laying of the sill to the selection of the color of paint and the of art on the walls, the shop has been a family project.

Nice shop Dennis Jims words say it all.
    You definitely among friends here with those hand tools under your bench. We can look at planes all day and not get tired

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ulrich View Post
    Thanks folks. When planning the shop I read that in the 15th and 16th C joiners worked at a bench in their living space. I decided that there was no reason the shop can't look like a room in the house. From the laying of the sill to the selection of the color of paint and the of art on the walls, the shop has been a family project.
    It has been my intent for the last 5 years to do the same thing, but it will have to wait until I sell this house and build the new one. I am even planning to put in a couple of easy chairs. I glad to find someone that thinks the same way. Welcome
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Wow that has a great feel to it. Really makes an inviting looking place to go work in. Thanks for sharing.