Temperature Differences

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This one's for Don and the others in Arizona who thumb their noses at the rest of the country all winter long... ;D

40 degrees - Normal people are wearing a sweatshirt with a jacket over it. Phoenix folks are falling over dead in the streets from hypothermia.

50 degrees - Normal people are in a light jacket if the wind is blowing. Phoenix folks are in expedition parkas with electric handwarmers in the pockets.

60 degrees - Normal people are wearing long-sleeved shirts and loving the comfortable weather. Phoenix folks have a sweater under their ski jacket and seriously considering moving to somewhere warmer.

70 degrees - Normal people are in t-shirts. Phoenix folks are doing OK, as long as they are in the car with the heater cranked up.

80 degrees - Normal people are feeling a bit warm. Phoenix folks have lost most of their goose bumps, and are down to wearing just a long-sleeved shirt.

90 degrees - Normal people are staying indoors under the air conditioner. Phoenix folks have finally turned off the furnace in the house.

100 degrees - Normal people are checking up on old folks to make sure they're not suffering from heat stroke. Phoenix folks go jogging at noon.

110 degrees - Normal people avoid going outdoors at all cost. Phoenix folks are out on the deck, working on their tans.

120 degrees - Normal people are being hospitalized for dehydration. Phoenix folks stop occasionally for a sip of iced tea while they're planting cactus in the yard.

130 degrees - Normal people die within minutes of exposure to the extreme heat. Phoenix folks are enjoying the nice springlike weather.

140 degrees - The hottest temperatures man has been known to survive. Phoenix folks are having pool parties for the kids.

150 degrees - Desert animals are roasted instantly as they emerge from their underground dens. Phoenix folks are saying "It's a little warm out today."

160 degrees - Human life as we know it ceases to exist. The Mayor of Phoenix gets a phone call from the Devil asking him to cut that crap out because it's getting too hot down there.
devil.gif

Carol i think he is just trying to remind us Northerners how nice and warm it is down your way. Our summer like spring has been short lived with nature reminding us it aint over yet. :D

Vaughn you can keep the heat. I much prefer a cold climate. I can at least warm up pretty easily thanks to protective clothing but when its hot and humid i cant stand to be outside.

...Vaughn you can keep the heat. I much prefer a cold climate. I can at least warm up pretty easily thanks to protective clothing but when its hot and humid i cant stand to be outside.

I'm pretty much the same way. I can deal with cold better than hot. I'm not as tolerant to cold as I used to be (still have some nerve issues after breaking my back), but like you said, when it's cold, you can always add layers.

True story, last November I was working in a United Health Care Kiosk during medicare open enrollment in a Target Store. The kiosk was by the door and I was wearing a jacket since the air coming in the door was cold. the outside temp when I got there was 46. As I stood there in walked a lady in shorts sandals and a short sleeve blouse. As she walked by I asked her what part of Canada are you from she said "Alberta, how could you tell I was Canadian." Snow birds you can spot em a mile away.

When I lived in Phoenix (through the 90's) I didn't have AC most of the time, people thought I was crazy but you do get used to it.

I lived in Maui for three years and it was even "worse" there. Front page news when it got down to 68F (people had to go buy SOCKS to go to the game - the horror! Turns out lots of folks didn't even own any...) and if it hit 90F it was pretty much over the edge on the high side and you'd hear about it for days!!

Where I grew up as a kid in Canada it would hit 110/115F in the summer and -35/-40F in the winter so I thought the maui complaining was pretty funny.